Saxophone Forum

by saxyfire
(9 posts)
20 years ago

how to become a saxophone repair tech

I love playing sax and I love to fix things all at the same time. I am starting to seriously think about becoming a repair tech, but I don't know how to get into this field. Should I touch this field? how would I get training? Being sixteen what can I do to help this goal now?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: how to become a saxophone repair tech

Try to become an apprentice at a local shop. Else, buy some junkers and go through some trial and error. There's various books and videos. If you have good mechanical intuition, then learning how to repair saxophones will be a very fulfilling journey. There is some up front investment in tools, and I recommend leaving the really troublesome things like dent removal to your local shop, but there's no reason you can't learn how to clean, repad, do springs, adjust action, etc. on your own. Beware. The first time I disassembled and reassembled my horn it took me about 10 hours and I was in a panic by the time I was done. Now I can do it and have everything clean and back together in about 2 - not including a repad or a spring job. Being curious gets you halfway there. Just proceed with caution and patience and ask questions.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

20 years ago

I was bored at band camp back in 96 and took my old tenor apart, then back together... I didn't keep time, but it didn't take more than a few hours. granted I didn't fix anything, just cleaned shit up and stuff. =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

This one time... at band camp... I took my saxophone... Sorry. Had to. (American Pie...) It's been 17 years since I've been in band camp, and I'm looking forward to going back next year. Blue Lake has an adult band camp that runs for a few days. I play with a number of folks who go and it sounds like a blast. They play some pretty challenging stuff, too, I hear. Our cabin got busted for an after-midnight jam session. It was total mayhem - a real riot mentality. Mr. cabin leader dude took us to the tennis courts and had us do some late night calisthenics to the point of tears. Ahhhh memories...

Reply To Post