Saxophone Forum

by karebear1012
(395 posts)
20 years ago

High school jazz band

hey! I'm a freshman this year, and I recently found out that I got lead sax in our HS jazz band. The only problem is, I suck at improvising (I have no idea how I got lead cuz im not that good at improv). I've been playing various instruments since 3rd grade, but I've only been playing sax for like 2 years. I was wondering what websites or books you recommend to improve my improvising. My teacher is having me work on Lennie Nehause books and Rubanks Advanced Method Vol. 2 right now. Thanks! Kara

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Re: High school jazz band

Rubanks for improv??? Got to jazzbooks.com. It's Jamey Aebersold's website. Just type in or look under the category improvisation. Also, he has playalong books that have songs, the chord changes, and a CD with the rythm section to play with. As your teacher about Jamey, he'll know who he is at least, if not, he'll know him. If he doesn't, quit taking lessons from him.

Reply To Post

2. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

20 years ago

u dont need an improv tape to learn how to improv, cuz thats not what improving is about, to a certain extent it is but not totally.. you need to kno ur 2 - 5 - 1 progressions, your blues scales, ur minor scales, intervals of every major and minor scale, arpeggios, and so on and so forth.. and once you have those down then u have to be able to look at ur sheet music and pretty much sight read the chord structures on a dime, unless u sit and study the chords before hand and write out your own solo and improv upon that which then ur basically freely playing more than you are improving.. once you have that down and are able to comprehend and look at those things with ease, then go ahead and get improv books, any will do as long as its not super hard, try to find ones with the songs watermelon man, and all the old classics, their easy to pick up on... and also, for more improv ideas and style ideas, invest in a charlie parker omni book, i just bought one of those and theyre freaking amazing, the level that charlie played at and thought at is just out of this world, hes amazing.. hope i helped..haha i dont think i did

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

20 years ago

"you need to kno ur 2 - 5 - 1 progressions, your blues scales, ur minor scales, intervals of every major and minor scale, arpeggios, and so on and so forth.." "once you have that down and are able to comprehend and look at those things with ease, then go ahead and get improv books, any will do as long as its not super hard, try to find ones with the songs watermelon man, and all the old classics, their easy to pick up on... Get all that down, and then go play something like watermelon man??? That's got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. "u dont need an improv tape to learn how to improv, cuz thats not what improving is about, to a certain extent it is but not totally.." Ok, the CD has the rythm section to improvise with, so you can hear the chord changes in the bass and paino, and feel the beat. That's not what improvising it about? The CD is and aid to help you keep track. Maybe I misunderstood....Playing with a rythm section is not what improv is about? That's what improv IS.

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
        (312 posts)

20 years ago

if you can kick ass on a song like watermelon man ur pretty good, the chords are simple as shit, and its a boring song, so if u can make that song interesting, your doin ok..ur right, its the gayest damn song on the face of the earth, i can improv along with that song using just my left hand and kick ass at that...and you dont need rythm section for improv, it helps you hear the chord changes and the feel of the song but if u need that to kick ass at improv then u need help...i did say some stupid shit in that post, but i think karebear wanted some help and what the shit did u do?? come lay stupid shit down on me, so next time, dont be a smart ass, and try and actually be a help to hte person taht needs it

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

lol thanks yanagisawA..yeah, i do have the omnibook - it's awesome! I can only play like confirmation and yardbird suite so far...but i'm working on it. watermelon man? Where could I get the music for that? I think I played it in 5th grade jazz band on trumpet, but I forget how it goes.. Thanks again, Kara

Reply To Post

2. by mandoman
        (8 posts)

20 years ago

haha, i feel your pain, improve sucks at first, but you just have to push through it, and once you learn what you need to learn then you can just have fun with it. And if your a freshman and lead of your hs jazz band, i wouldnt be worrying to much. Im just attempting to catch up with the softmore thats better than me and im a junior, haha.

Reply To Post