Saxophone Forum

by musicwriter2001
(14 posts)
15 years ago

"stuffy" D problem

I am curious about an issue i am having with a newly aquired hohner president tenor. after trying different mouthpieces and finding one that really sounds good, i am still having a problem with the octave d. the mouthpieces i tried before going with my brillhart levelaire made the d jump up a fifth to the next a, the brillhart doesnt make it do that, but it sounds stuffy, the e is fine, and the c is fine, but that d just doesnt want to come out. is there something i can do myself to fix it, or should i take it to a tech?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

15 years ago

Re: "stuffy" D problem

you can always take it to a tech..the C key..bow key may not be opening enuff to let the D sound..that's where I'd look first..but then the D is almost always slightly stuffy..try opening the palm key D and then try to match the sound with the closed D fingering. If you can't get a close match by opening the embouchure, then it's probably the low C key.

Reply To Post

1. by musicwriter2001
      (14 posts)

15 years ago

okay, thanks, i will see if that works. if not, i have a guy that i take my older saxes to, he is really good. just out of curiousity, why wouldnt it happen on the low d which is the same fingering minus the octave?

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

15 years ago

when you press the octave key on the horn, you are in effect opening a leak in te sax..this aggravates the problem....but thier should be some resistance if the bottom C key is to low..have your man take a look..also check the neck piece fit..

Reply To Post

1. by musicwriter2001
          (14 posts)

15 years ago

well, as it turned out, its not the horn, its me. i had a freind of mine that plays try it, and it didnt happen for him, then he watched me play and i was opening the right hand palm keys everytime i was playing that d. now i concentrate on my right hand form, and i doesnt happen.

Reply To Post

2. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

so, yes...it's....there....there..and cool that you got it fingered out..

Reply To Post

3. by musicwriter2001
          (14 posts)

15 years ago

its just wierd to me that this never happened to me on my buescher, oh well, different key layout and so on.

Reply To Post