Saxophone Forum

by saxguy82z
(6 posts)
15 years ago

neck problem??

ive been playing my laquer cannonball global series tenor for a number of years now; and been using the silver neck exclusivly. I had been having problems with the lower register especially the low D. I had been assuming it was something i was doing, or an odd adjustment i needed to make on the instrument. Now, I decided to try something different, and used the laquer neck for some practicing, and the problem was fixed! Now, there seemed to be a good seal between the MP and where the neck meets the horn with the silver neck. could there be a very small leak or something that might cause this sort of problem, anybody had a similar issues, or any idea as to what might cause the problem?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

15 years ago

Re: neck problem??

could be the octave key pad itself..could be a small leak in the octave key pip..could be the octave key isn't closing..try sounding a low G and pressing the neck key to see if it changes the tone..could be a small leak in the neck piece receiver..good luck. oh yeah..try sealing the bottom of the neck with you palm and blowing into the neck..should tell you if the neck itself is sealing.

Reply To Post

2. by RyanCannonball
    (45 posts)

15 years ago

Re: neck problem??

Hi saxguy, Definitely check to see that the neck octave key is sealing completely. The most common issue I see that causes this is when the neck octave key doesn't close all the way. You can check that on your silver neck pretty easily. Look at the contact point between the floating octave lever (the key that sticks up above the body of the sax when the neck is off, and lifts the neck octave key when you're playing) and the neck octave key. There should be a tiny gap (maybe 1mm or so) between the two. If there's not, then the floating octave lever may be holding the neck octave key up just enough to create a small leak. Chazalon is right though, it could be one of many little things. Let us know what you find out after trying our suggestions - I'm sure we can diagnose this for you. -Ryan

Reply To Post