Saxophone Forum

by selmergirl
(2 posts)
20 years ago

Where do I get started?

I have a horn (a tenor) but don't know how to play and want to learn. I know I should probably get some private lessons (I'm an adult - not a kiddie in school). Any tips for good books to get started?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Where do I get started?

If you have never played a reed instrument before, I would get lessons for at least the first few months.

Reply To Post

2. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

20 years ago

Rubank Elementary Book. Cheap, and possibly the best book around. It's been around for a long time, and a lot of private teachers use it. It also has an intermediate and advanced method, along with selected studies which are very challenging. I got mine for around $5.50. It's a much better book then those standards of excellence and essentianal elements. My teacher often says you can get 3 standards and elements into one Rubank. And they're much cheaper. Good Luck!

Reply To Post

3. by karebear1012
    (395 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah, definately get the Rubank Elementary book. It's great, and you'll really learn from it. Also, the town band here uses the Standard of Excellence book..it's geared more towards bands and not individual players, but it's good at teaching you the basics. I taught myself the sax for the first few months, and that's the book I used.

Reply To Post