Saxophone Forum

by dmoney
(9 posts)
15 years ago

lead tenor

Hi. Im in 9th grade and been playing the sax since 5th grade. Next year the senior tenors are leaving and im getting the lead tenor spot. Im not too great, so i was wondering if anyone has any tips on playing lead.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax253
    (13 posts)

15 years ago

Re: lead tenor

Hi Brilliant oppertunity, you should be pleased and not worry for a minute. If it is a big band your talking about play nice and loud during solos and just enjoy yourself. In terms of other bands, do the same but remember, be musical!! Enjoy!!!! Regards Lewis

Reply To Post

2. by saxman251
    (1 post)

15 years ago

Hey man, congrats on the top tenor spot! I agree with the previous response, but I would like to add that you may not want to think of yourself as "lead" tenor - that is a designation that we normally reserve for the 1st alto player. But, things to work on - intonation, especially in the middle and upper registers of your horn since this is where much of the 1st tenor parts are written. Improvisation - Just remember that this will not all come at once. Be patient with yourself and don't be afraid to experiment! You'll get it! Good luck!

Reply To Post

3. by basssaxman88
    (68 posts)

15 years ago

Don't be afraid to play too loud, bc playing too loud isn't loud enough. If you hit a couple wrong notes, who cares, just keep practicing (and don't make your dog deaf, like I did to mine, haha). Experience comes with playing improv and lead. The more your practice / experiment / learn / teach, the more you will learn as an individual on the saxophone. And it can take you more placed than you can imagine, dude. Hint: It helps to play on street corners at the center of town so you can improve and improv. Just memorize about 3 songs and play them over again until your chops are shot. In NJ, I once made $400.00 bucks for playing on the boardwalk from people walking by and tossing money into my case. Money doesn't hurt either. Well good luck and best regards, Basssaxman88

Reply To Post

4. by dmoney
    (9 posts)

15 years ago

thanks guys. most of the pressure comes from that the last two 1st tenors have been phenomonal soloists. they were both the 1st tenors for all state jazz band, and my teacher told me that our highschool has had the all state 1st tenor position for the past 10 years!

Reply To Post