Saxophone Forum

by red_cat
(2 posts)
15 years ago

"The Martin" Tenor Pad Question

Hey all. Wondering if anyone knew what the original pad/reso combo on these was. I've heard from some people that they need thinner .160 thickness pads as opposed to the bigger modern ones (Selmer-style and the like). Anybody tried Roos on one? What did it do to the tone?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

15 years ago

Re: "The Martin" Tenor Pad Question

I don't know the original pad set up on these horns..but I use the thin pads on all my repads..I find they work better overall..I make adjust ment s for the thicker pads by manipulating the amount of George's glue that I use to back the pads..it works for me..I take my time..I've never used Roo pads..but I'm told by fellows who know the trade that they are a great product and would most likely beef up the tone on your Martin..hope this helps

Reply To Post

1. by red_cat
      (2 posts)

15 years ago

Thanks for the info!

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

15 years ago

ive found roo pads dont nessicarily beef up the sound, but last longer than cowhide. One person i know had to replace the pads on the upper bow of his bari every 6 months (at least) with roo pads, hes up to about a year and a half before they HAVE to be replaced. the sound thingy could be because of the resonators. the palm keys on my bari sound a bit stuffy, except for the high F, and its got a metal resonator. of course, i know another guy who says thats complete BS, but a theory is a theory.

Reply To Post

2. by MartinMods
      (63 posts)

15 years ago

The .160" pads work well but I had to shim them on the bottom end. The roos worked fine. Porous leather is pretty much porous leather so any difference in sound I would attribute to the resonator. Rubbing PTFE powder (teflon) into the pores will make the pads smooth and shiney and that would make a difference. Treating the pad with Eco-Flo Super Shene (for fine leather from Tandy Leather) mixed with PTFE powder (after seating) seals the pores and makes the pads like flexible, full sized resonators.

Reply To Post AIM