Saxophone Forum

by tenor562
(297 posts)
20 years ago

Jazz Books

Hi, I'm a tenor player, I recently started around a year ago, but have been playing seriously since around May. I originally played clarinet for 2 years, but was never any good, probably because I didn't take music seriously. I'm looking for a good jazz method books. I now play on the essential elements for jazz ensemble, but I don't really like the format. I'm looking for a format similar to the Rubank Method Books. It would be helpful if this book had other books ahead of it, ex. Level 1, 2, and 3. Any ideas?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Jazz Books

"Building a Jazz Vocabulary" is a rather dry, methodical approach to the basics, and "Jazz Exercises and Etudes" by Jordon Ruwe gives a large number of runs and such to practice on. Neither is terribly complete, but they complement each other to some extent.

Reply To Post

2. by karebear1012
    (395 posts)

20 years ago

The Lennie Nehause series is really good for people starting jazz. Basically there are three different books (beginner, interm., adv.), and each one is half exercises and half etudes. As you go through the book, the keys get harder, and so do the rhythms. It's a really great book to start out on. If you want a book that teaches you chords for improvising, there's a really good book by Joe Viola (Vol 2) that has each chord and 5 exercises for each one. I really like that book, because the chords are designed especially for sax players. Hope this helps. Kara

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

20 years ago

I'm looking into the Lennie Niehaus books, they sound really good. There are actually four volumes, 2 beginner levels, an intermediate, and an advanced. They look like they'll do the trick. The Joe Viola book sounds good too. I'm only one year younger than karebear1012, so it helps to have someone my own age give advice. Thanks!

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

20 years ago

For the Joe Viola Books, should you buy them all at once? or in order? ex. Volume 1, 2, 3? Thanks.

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

Wow, i'm glad I helped someone out..lol. Let's see..I guess it depends on what you want to learn. Here's what it says on the back of my Joe Viola book (I only have Volume 2): Vol. 1: Scale Studies Vol. 2:Chord Studies Vol. 3: A solid foundation of exercises and solos that will teach you all the basics of good musicianship for the saxophone including: 1. practice tips 2. all major scales and related modes 3. 210 exercises Feel free to ask if you have any more questions. I could also ask my sax teacher because Joe Viola was his teacher way back when. Cya, Kara

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

I just scanned through and bought "The Diatonic Cycle" published by Hal Leonard. A front to back format (I just wish Rubank Blue books were set-up this way). About 400 exercises in the book - each one at least a half page long. "Scaly" at the beginning and more "etudescent" later on. There's another book in that series about the Circle of Fifths. I'm going to work with this one first, but maybe I'll end up getting both and going at them simultaneously. The progression is also shown with chordal studies/explanations at the bottom of the page. Probably the most strightforward approach I've seen - some music theory explained, but not so much that it distracts from playing. As a legit guy - fairly new to jazz - the challenge has been to develop the "palette" - getting used to certain types of phrases or intervals that my legit fingers just aren't used to. I can hear the phrase I want to play - now I just need to work on processing it through to my fingers. I think that a progressive study approach will help.

Reply To Post

3. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

U SHOULD GET TAKE THE LEAD JAZZ BOOK.ITS GOT SOME CLASSIC JAZZ PIECES IN IT AND THERE PRETTY COOL.

Reply To Post

4. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

yeah, Take the Lead is pretty good, but it's so easy. at least the swing one is.

Reply To Post

5. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

it is great for beginners though and if you want more advanced music than get the charlie parker omnibook

Reply To Post

6. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

oooh, yeah. i love the omnibook! but if you're trying to learn those pieces on your own, definately buy charlie parker's cds

Reply To Post

7. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

im only 13 and im pretty good but ive only heard of the omnibook ive never played anything out of it

Reply To Post

8. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

yeah, i'm 13 too. i've been playing sax for like...2 years, and somehow by some miracle i got lead in the High school jazz band. but anyway, i needed to learn improv skills, so my conductor told me to buy the omnibook. i also wanted to be really good at improv cuz i'm like the only girl in a male-dominated group. it's a really great book. yardbird suite is really easy, it's a good one if you're not all that great (like me, lol) cya, kara

Reply To Post

9. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Well, I wouldn't excactly call the bridge on that song cake. Sure, the melody's easy, but the bridge I would think would be quite challenging for a 13 year old. One of my favorites is Donna Lee. The head's a bitch, but the changes are easy and they flow well. If you want to get some ideas for improv in your head, get the Jazz Etudes book by Dan Higgins. It'll help a lot with counting, style, and interpretation. But you shouldn't do it without a teacher.

Reply To Post

10. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

well..the melody is simple, and so is the bridge with lots of practice. the sax is really easy for me because i've been playing trumpet since 5th grade (and still am), and brass instruments are soooo much harder than woodwind (for me at least). I really like Confirmation (the 1st song in the book). that one is really easy too. yeah, i have a really good teacher, but he's kinda dry. like he'll have me do some longtones, then he'll have me play scales up to 5 sharps and flats each time, then he'll have me work on a duet or exercise, and then he'll make me play either a jazz etude or a jazz exercise. its the same every time. i have lots of respect for him though.

Reply To Post

11. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

My favorite song by Charlie Parker is probably Porky. It' probably the only blues solo that is actually really easy to tell that it's blues, and not bee bop. For example, his solos on Billie's Bounce and Now's the Time. I'm not saying I don't like his blues soloing aproach, it's actually probably my third favorite, but on those particular 12 bar blues songs, he just doesn't get to bluesy. I hear a lot of Bee Bop on the seventh chords. It sounds great and works great, but I don't hear him go very far from it on blue songs too often.

Reply To Post

12. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

20 years ago

nows the time is the song listen to every solo birds played on it and you can find most all of his licks in there its just the song confirmation is also awesome a ... but awesome

Reply To Post

13. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

HAVE ANY OF YOU ALL EVER played koko or a night in tunisia

Reply To Post

14. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

can anyone tell the names of some really hard jazz songs because i like a challenge

Reply To Post

15. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

has anyone ever played the song abracadabra can u tell me if the sax solos hard

Reply To Post

16. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

alto sax playa who want 2 play sop sax

can anyone give me some tips on playing sopano sax,because i want to play it and ive tried all the saxes except contrabass,bass and sopranino!but i really like soprano so id like to learn to play it

Reply To Post

17. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: alto sax playa who want 2 play sop sax

My advice is be patient. I've found sopranos to be much harder to control than alto. Going from alto to tenor or bari is no big deal. Within a few hours, you can get a handle on it. With soprano, it's a little more of an endeavor as the embouchre is tighter and less forgiving intonation/tone wise. Expect to take a few weeks of daily practice to get things right. The good thing is that if you can get your sop chops in order, your ATB chops can be improved. Good Luck, man.

Reply To Post

18. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

yeah, i have a soprano. it's a lot harder than alto (for me at least), but it's a lot of fun. You should definately bring along a tuner, and work on your pitch because staying in tune can be really difficult. if you play a brass instrument, that helps too because it strengths the muscles above your top lip also. i play trumpet, and it's really hard, but a lot of fun. you should definately try that out too. good luck, kara

Reply To Post

19. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

thanks kara and sax maiac.i tried sop and i at a brookmays near me and i couldnt get the really high notes out of it.my brother plays trumpet and hes let me try it but its hard

Reply To Post

20. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

yeah, trumpet is really hard at first, but it's really helpful. you really gain an appreciation for the lay out of saxophone keys, lol...the trumpet is all about lip and air control/quality. soprano is really hard to get the high notes at first...and kind of painful lol (if yours has the high F# or mine even has the high G key). but you get the hang of it after a while. so do you guys think i should get a selmer reference? is there anything out there better (i play alto by the way)? my parents have agreed to buy my the reference unless there's something i like better. cya, kara

Reply To Post

21. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

20 years ago

Go for the reference, that thing is your best choice. Too bad you didn't like the yamahas though, lol. You're lucky that you stretched get that one, I got my parents to stretch for a 62II, and I'm as happy as can be. I can't believe what's better than that thing, the selmer reference must sound and play perfectly, the 62II is pretty close. (at least for me) maybe I should try trumpet...... -Leslie

Reply To Post

22. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

No,don't spend 3500 on a Reference, when you can get the Yanagisawa A9930, go look that sax up, it is amazing. David, a good song that's usually challenging for highschoolers in Have You Met Miss Jones. Or anything with rythm changes, I love watching students trying to follow those. hahaha

Reply To Post

23. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

Subjectivity is the root of all discussion board evil, but I'd say the Selmer III is better than the Reference horns. I've played several side by side and I felt the III was better all around and costs a lot less, too. Ideally, you go to a store that has several different horns from several different manufacturers and you spend the day sorting out which one you like best. If you are going mail order, I'd steer you towards Yamaha as they are more consistent than the Selmers. An 82Z is an 82Z is an 82Z for the most part, but Selmer's horns run from moderate to absolutely killer. Where are you headed with your playing? Majoring in performance in college someday perhaps?

Reply To Post

24. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

i think you should get a slemer mark IV.if u cant get that than go for the referrence or a yanagisawa or a nice keilwerth

Reply To Post

25. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

yeah, i actually want to major in music when i get older. my mom majored in music, and she's awesome at the piano, so i guess she's my inspiration. i really want to be a jazz saxophonist/trumpeter, and everyone says the reference is awesome for both jazz and classical. i went to the local music store and tried yamaha unlaquered Z, yamaha EX, 2 keilwerths, selmer series III, and series II, and a reference. i've also played a yanigasawa at Rayburns music, which was really good. they also let me try a vintage selmer premium i think it was (they said it was made before the mark IV). are those any good? the guy there said he'd get it tuned up and working if i wanted it. cya, kara

Reply To Post

26. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

i've never heard of a premium.get the keilwerth or selmer referrence or definately the yanagisawa.yamahas are pretty good but id recommend the others before a yamaha ttyl David

Reply To Post

27. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

IM TRYING OUT FOR THE PARISH HONOR BAND AND I KNOW THIS MAY SEEM PATHETIC ,BUT I HAVE TROUBLE WITH DOTTED QUARTER NOTES ANY SUGGESTIONS? THANX dAVID ambrogio

Reply To Post

28. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

The horns made before the VI were Super Balanced Action horns and those are extremely collectable and can be great players. What's the serial number on the old Selmer and what are they asking for it? That's worth having them set up for you. The nice thing is that you'd likely get every penny back and then some if down the road you decided you wanted to go with a different horn.

Reply To Post

29. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

i'm not sure what the number was on it..but i can find out. the problem with it was that it didn't make a sound lol. the woodwind manager said that he'd fix it up if i was interested in buying it. also, the neck swung around, and it was really annoying when i was trying to play it. in general though, the horn looked in great shape. cya, kara

Reply To Post

30. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

yeah kara,if hes willing 2 fix it than get.unless u come across a better deal cya, david

Reply To Post

31. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

No, don't buy a Reference for 3500, when you can get the Yanagisawa A9930, that thing is a BEAST, look it up. David, a good song that's usually challenging for highschoolers is Have You Met Miss Jones. Also, anything with rythm changes; I love watching students trying to follow them. hahahahaha

Reply To Post

32. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

it's just...the guy at the music store said that if I go to college, and my teacher is what you call a "selmer snob", then i might need to buy a new horn to participate in that group. that really sux. cya, kara

Reply To Post

33. by BlueEyes838
          (5 posts)

20 years ago

whats a saxophone?

Reply To Post

34. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

a saxophone is something that would be wwwaaayyy to hard for you to understand. hey, is your name skyler?? cya, kara

Reply To Post

35. by BlueEyes838
          (5 posts)

20 years ago

ha no that ain't my name...and i used to play the boring saxophone

Reply To Post

36. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

ooooo ok get it.

Reply To Post

37. by BlueEyes838
          (5 posts)

20 years ago

saxophone.. ha that a funny word..reminds me of a phone that can play the sax

Reply To Post

38. by BlueEyes838
          (5 posts)

20 years ago

y'all need a english class 'cause y'all talk to preppy

Reply To Post

39. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

ya'll need french classes cuz ya'll speak too much english!!! ha! i win again!

Reply To Post

40. by BlueEyes838
          (5 posts)

20 years ago

least i can spell the way i talk baby

Reply To Post

41. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

least i know what a sax is , babe

Reply To Post

42. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

DEAR KARA,IS'NT IT HARD PLAYING A BRASS AND WOODWIND INSTRUMENT AT THE SAME TIME. CYA DAVID

Reply To Post

43. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

God, someone please kill this fucking thread! I said the "f word", maybe that'll do it...

Reply To Post

44. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

naw, it's not that hard....you gotta get used to it though. brass is A LOT harder than woodwind. but the flue is pretty hard.... so why dya wanna kill this thread? was it blueeyes? lol...blueeyes ruins the thread!! nice goin there hun. lolzz cya, kara

Reply To Post

45. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

hey, go to the "high school sax" section, and answer in the "school band discussion" okie day? cya

Reply To Post

46. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

thanx kara

Reply To Post

47. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

20 years ago

alrite kids play nice in the sandbox... get back on the topic or dont post AND NO MORE ALL CAPS DAVID geez ... this is about books well abersold is awesome he makes some ppl made but i dont think u can beat it... altho i usually band in the box it as oppossed to the cds... i like the comping better a pasquelle bona book is awesome for learning to read rhythms

Reply To Post

48. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Oh, Bona books frustrated the hell out me in highschool, I'd reccommend those to anyone.

Reply To Post

49. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

hey barimachine does it look like i'm using all caps.i don't think so,so why don't you shut up about it.

Reply To Post

50. by spida
          (12 posts)

20 years ago

Right, Blueeyes if you can't think of something to say that dosn't sound like Ralph from the Simpsons, don't get peeved when someone gets annoyed at you. And you use 'too' when you use it to mean 'as well as'. So take the plank from your own eye before trying to take the splinter out of your neighbours. David, using caps makes you sound inconsiderate and you're not likely to be taken seriously. Take the advice or get used to people knocking you. Now, back to the books...

Reply To Post

51. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

20 years ago

DEAR KARA,IS'NT IT HARD PLAYING A BRASS AND WOODWIND INSTRUMENT AT THE SAME TIME. CYA DAVID yes david yes it does and dont tell me to shut up anyway i just got like a 1000 new books at our school for free from jazztimes yea but its awesome im still working through all of em but i finally got the sigurd racher top tones book which i knew was awesome but it is

Reply To Post

52. by Armstrong Alto!
          (19 posts)

20 years ago

GAAAHH!!! Hey Admins, can we ban people on these boards? If so, i have a request...*grates teeth* PLay-along jazz books, while somewhat easy, are also good practice if you don't have a band to practice with 24-7. -C

Reply To Post

53. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

I'm pretty sure David IS gone. I emailed an administrator, and I was told he recieved a very stern warning, so he probably just took his arrogant immature comments over to SOTW.

Reply To Post

54. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

20 years ago

I'm a beginner jazzist, pretty good at legit for an eighth grader. I want to try out some Play along books, like jamey aebersold or hal leonard. What's a good one for me. I'm on rubank intermediate. Thanks, and boy do I feel sorry for SOTW, it's a nice place too, just too crowded, saxquest is more like a community

Reply To Post

55. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

whoa spida...watch what you're sayin there. dont pick a fight wif blueeyes

Reply To Post

56. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Well, the first Aebersold book anyone ever gets when they're starting on jazz is Volume 54: Maiden Voyage. Though it's not a hard book, it's got some really famous songs in it that are pretty fun.

Reply To Post

57. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

20 years ago

i dont really have a problem with SOTW cuz im used to the most crowded forums alive and thats no where close but i like abersold books more than i like hal leonard i just do i dont know why ...

Reply To Post

2. by stutrane
        (15 posts)

20 years ago

It depends on what you want out of the book. If you want to learn the jazz vocabulary, play the Omnibook- start at the first page, study it until you can play it half asleep, then move to the next. This is how I learnt to play. It's also amazing for your technique, reading, and especially your rhythm and phrasing- anyone else agree? For a technique book, the best in my opinion is "Expansions" by Gary Campbell. This book is incredible- a lifetime study. All sax players should check it out. If you want to play like Lovano, check out the Viola series, especially book 2- Chord studies. If you want to sound like Brecker, look into the digital thing. Be aware, these books require serious time, like at least 6 months of an hour or two a day, but it's well worth it. Just a warning, the best thing you can do to learn jazz is: Play with others, no matter your standard. Listen to jazz, really listen, deeply. Dig it, live it, sleep it. Transcribe!!!! Pick easy stuff to begin with, the Snidero series of Jazz Conception is a great place to start. Sorry for my first post being so long everyone.

Reply To Post