Saxophone Forum

by DebB
(1 post)
15 years ago

Which sax for a beginner - Choice of 3?

So.... which alto is better: Keilwerth ST90 Mk II Buffet Evette Selmer Bundy 1242 I know none of them would be as good as a student Yamaha, but would any of them do for a beginner, to save on rental, as I have a large musical family and would like to add a sax to the collection anyway? My daughter who wants to play is in primary school (only 8). She has been playing clarinet and wants to change to sax. Needless to say, she needs one that is easy to blow and has a smooth mechanism. I am a music teacher and have played sax in a concert band in years past but no longer own one. So, I would enjoy playing it too. I am considering these three as they are currently on offer second hand nearby, and are very cheaply priced. (300-400 Aussie dollars, which equates to only a years rental) Any advice would be welcome. Thanks, Deb

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxophoneman
    (2 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Which sax for a beginner - Choice of 3?

My two cents. Bundys are almost indestructible, they can sustain an immense amount of damage.

Reply To Post

2. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

15 years ago

go with the Bundy.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

15 years ago

hmm.... i hate bundys, so i wouldnt suggest one. unless the choice was some chinese thing. then id suggest waiting. i have a evette/schafer, which i assume is generally similar. not a BAD sax, not the best. Ive played a buffet, and it sounded nice. and keilworth. never having played one, its tough for me to say anything about it except there are some people who really like their keilworths. and if i were going to get a modern sax anytime soon, id try one. if i were going to pick one based off of what i said and not able to play it (cause since your daughter is just starting im assuming she doesnt know what to look for when playing a sax) id expect the keilworth or the evette to be the best. id probably go with the buffet/evette, just cause im more familiar with the names than keilworth.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

15 years ago

Bundys are built like trucks..ya can't bust 'em. If you have a tech set one up so the horn is air tight and the mechanics are tight the Bundy is really a pretty decent horn. My experience is that the Bundy is better built than the Evette..much better..and will hold up better in young hands..but then, what do I know?

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

your right chalzon, i didnt concider durability. silly me, just thinking of sound/ergonomics ect...

Reply To Post

2. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

and,yes, you're right too, Cube. The Bundy doesn't have the ergonomics of the Evette..they are really pretty clunky over all..but per my experience as a tech, and having worked on literally hundreds of Bundys and very many Evettes, the Bundys do hang together better in the hands of the young players, and the Evettes seem to come apart rather quickly..but ya go with what you got..always good hearing from you..I was listening to Ronnie Cuber today..always think of you..keep up the good work, and keep the fait..C.

Reply To Post

2. by basssaxman88
        (68 posts)

15 years ago

Selmer Bundy Series 2 there's a lot of them around and they play well for beginners / intermediates.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

15 years ago

You mentioned the Yamaha 23 is too expensive and I agree. It is a good horn for beginners but the price is too high. And why does Yamaha sell their intermediate 475 saxes for only a little more money than the model 23s? I guess my choice of the above youis the Bundy....Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

15 years ago

You mentioned the Yamaha 23 is too expensive and I agree. It is a good horn for beginners but the price is too high. And why does Yamaha sell their intermediate 475 saxes for only a little more money than the model 23s? I guess my choice of the above you mentioned is the Bundy....Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by cuber
            (653 posts)

15 years ago

now that you mention it, 475s were cheaper than 23s up until about a year ago. go figure

Reply To Post