Saxophone Forum

by saxall60
(29 posts)
15 years ago

Ligatures

Does different ligatures produce different sounds ? What kind of difference did you notice ? Thank you.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cuber
    (653 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Ligatures

yes. rovners tend to muffle the sound. i like BG. cause its got a plate on the reed instead of cloth

Reply To Post

2. by ericsaxalto
    (2 posts)

15 years ago

Yes, ligatures do make a difference. I'm searching for the right ligature. Rovners are fine, but I agree with cuber, they do muffle the sound. I think you're better off going with a decent metal ligature. I'm gonig to pick up a Francios Louis Ultimate next week. A ligature can inhibit or help or inhibit vibration.

Reply To Post

1. by Shai Berkovich
      (12 posts)

15 years ago

yes ligatures are change the sound but sometimes you dont need to buy another ligature if you like the sound i am playing on the orginal ligatures of my mouthpieces because i am like my sound and now i am dont want to change it but if you search a new sound i am recomend to get to a sax store and to check a ligatures like rovener ; BG ;FL and a unknown ligatures sometimes you got the great things from a unknown things

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

15 years ago

while were talking about ligatures to try, ill throw the name "winslow" into the ring

Reply To Post

1. by saxandbassplayer
          (42 posts)

15 years ago

Winslow? What garbage. Just kidding. I have one for my alto. I dread the day that thing runs out of the little rubber rings. I should buy a surplus... As far as it goes for ligs, you don't necessarily need to go crazy. You'll definitely notice results, but don't break yourself financially trying to find "the perfect ligature". It's like the mouthpiece argument. I have $2000 worth of mouthpieces (though two of them are a Jody DV, and a Sugal), and I could've gotten by with just a legit alto and tenor piece, and a jazz alto and tenor piece. I personally right now am digging just a plain 2 screw selmer lig for my Jody. Beats what I got out of the Rovner, and it's not over the top or anything.

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

im sure the guy making winslows will sell you more rubber-ring-thingeys true, dont break the bank on ligatures. the money is much more well spent on a mouthpiece. the lig just refines that sound.

Reply To Post