Saxophone Forum

by blog234
(14 posts)
20 years ago

Suggestions for a new tenor saxophone...

I'll be getting a new tenor sax in the near future, and this one will probably be the one I stick to for the next long, long while. I'm using a Selmer student model right, help me out, THANKS!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxman2200
    (64 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Suggestions for a new tenor saxophone...

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm settling on a Keilwerth SX90R. They come in many cool finishes like: gold laquered, silver plated, nickle silver plated w/clear laquer, nickel silver plated w/gold laquer, black nickel plated w/gold keys, and black nickel plated w/silver keys a.k.a. Shadow (I personally like the Shadow the best). They are around 3 or 4 grand (depending on what finish you want). But I would also reccomend a selmer, or a Yanigasawa T-901 or 991.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

20 years ago

Yesterday I tested 4 tenors: Yamaha 475, Yamaha 62 Mark 2, Selmer TS200, and Jupiter 889SG. The Yamaha 62II is a great horn. Great intonation, response, and tone, made this one mine. I'll just have to wait to see if it really does me well. Success with this sax is more likely than failure.

Reply To Post

2. by Saxman2200
      (64 posts)

20 years ago

Sorry about my last post, It made it sound like the Keilwerth is only good for it's finish. It plays very well. It has exellent tone and response, and the SX90R has great action. If you can spring for the SX over the EX do so. And one more word to the wise, do not! I repeat, DO NOT!!!!!!!!!!! go for the Helmke, Monique, Maxtone, or any other cheap chinease or tiwainease brand. They play moderatly for about 6 months, tops. they have very shoddy workmanship and will literally fall apart in your hands. Most repairmen will not even waste their time doing work on them. If you are going to buy a piece of monkey doo doo, go to wall mart and buy a plastick one for cheap. At least then you get what you pay for. Hope I helped, see you.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
        (248 posts)

20 years ago

new saxman, i would like to give you a hug. haha, since i can't... um... good job. yeah. haha. new tenor? like new, or new to you? go vintage and get a 10M

Reply To Post

1. by Redsax
          (27 posts)

20 years ago

get a vintage sax...they sound mellower...I just got a Martin Handcraft Imperial for 495.00 and it sounds really mellow. But, if you must have new...check out www.cannonball.com for some cool products...if the cannonball looks expensive, try the Accent proffessional series also made by Cannonball---yes their products are made in Taiwan but are comparable to Yamahas and Yangiasawas...best advice...go to a music store and test drive several models...kinda like buying a car...see what each one is like before you whip out the wallet. If you are still unsure, rent one for a couple of months,then another...it's all up to you. Good luck!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by blog234
          (14 posts)

20 years ago

I'm looking for a new sax as in new to me and one that isnt a piece of crap saxman2200, I have tried the Cannonball Big Bell Series Redsax and it sounded great, I prefered the sound to the other ones I've tried, but someone told me they fall apart and they stick out like a sour thumb when playing in an ensemble. I've tried some Yamahas but just something about Yamahas turns me off for some reason, even though, I am still leaning towards a Yamaha or Yanigasawa T-991.

Reply To Post