Saxophone Forum

by LaydyGrey
(2 posts)
20 years ago

Jazz mouthpieces

I'm a flute player- turned - sax for jazz band. Through a strange series of events I ended up with a free alto (a Selmer Signet .. I'm sure it prolly sucks, but I wouldn't know) and a C* mouthpiece. I've recently been informed that I need a more "jazzy" mouthpiece. I know NOTHING about the sax, so any advice on mouthpieces/maintenance/etc would be greatly appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by LaydyGrey
    (2 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Jazz mouthpieces

By the way... I can't really play below an F# consistantly... which is silly, I know... But but but how can I improve my lower register? Or, rather, get one?

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

20 years ago

Have the horn checked for air leaks. Often they bother more in the lower register than the upper one. Secondly, maybe you don't have enough of the mouthpiece in your mouth (on the other hand, maybe too much). Experiment. Make sure your bottom lip covers your teeth, and your top lip is firm but not too tight. Do not curl your top lip under your teeth. Don't bite! Hope this helps!

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

20 years ago

Have the horn checked for air leaks. Often they bother more in the lower register than the upper one. Secondly, maybe you don't have enough of the mouthpiece in your mouth (on the other hand, maybe too much). Experiment. Make sure your bottom lip covers your teeth, and your top lip is firm but not too tight. Do not curl your top lip under your teeth. Don't bite! Hope this helps!

Reply To Post