Saxophone Forum

by anthonypaul
(3 posts)
20 years ago

larry teal's art of saxophone playing

Is this book up to date. Its about 40 years old. Is the breathing info. right on or has there been new developments? By the way Im new here. I have studied jazz mainly, but just got into serious classical study. Im enjoying it I just need to know as far as texts what are the definitive classical saxophone method books.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

20 years ago

Re: larry teal's art of saxophone playing

it's kinda outdated, like when he notes good sax brands and mouthpiece types and stuff like that. but otherwise, it is a super book. Read the technique page, it's really good. it also has good altissimo fingerings. Good Luck!

Reply To Post

1. by bronzemonkey992
      (22 posts)

20 years ago

The best part about Teal's book is the section on how to work on your reeds. Every sax player should know how to tweek their reeds, because we all know how consistent and good the cane is these days! NOT!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Bibimbop
        (53 posts)

20 years ago

The Art of Saxophone Playing is like the Bible for saxophonists. The information isn't neccessarily aimed towards classical playing... just good saxophone pedagogy. Another book you might look at is "Saxophone Masterclasses" by Michael Hester. Goes over alot of the same material, but in a little different way.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

Larry Teal's book is a must for any beginner or expert (or anyone in between - like me) who hasn't read it. It doesn't replace private instruction, but the advice and instruction in the book is worth hundreds and hundreds of dollars of private instruction. A beginning player (young adult or older) can probably get themselves starting playing with this book.

Reply To Post