Saxophone Forum

by anthonypaul
(3 posts)
20 years ago

The art of Breathing

What kinds of methods or excercises do you do to develope your breathing technique? I have just come to realize that basically the breath is like the life force for wind instrumnents. I do some things out of the Teal book like breathing/walking-take two steps -take deep breath-hold-breath out for eight steps -rest-repeat. Improving breath control opens everything up I think.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by PsuSax
    (25 posts)

19 years ago

Re: The art of Breathing

try and find a good flute or low brass professor/pro in your area. They are amazing for teaching how to breathe because low brass instruments are huge and require great amounts of air and only half the air a flute player uses goes into their instrument. Both are very good at being very effecient with their use of air.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by selmer 4evr
      (309 posts)

19 years ago

Re: The art of Breathing

I do not agree with PsuSax the pressure required for sax is way more than the flute . Sax is a cone and behaves very differently from a cylinder . I would suggest a study on how air behaves in a conical bore it will be most revealing and will explain why incredible pressure is the better way to go . the problem with the saxophone is that producing a sound is too easy.

Reply To Post