Saxophone Forum

by fbh
(3 posts)
20 years ago

c-melody saxophones

Could anyone make comments regarding the cause or causes (and fixes) of the c-melody problem of sharpness in the altissimo? A good mouthpiece is important (have tried the original mp's as well as Beechler and Morgan mp's) but does not seem to totally correct the problem. Can anyone help? Fred

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

20 years ago

Re: c-melody saxophones

I don't really know, but since sharpness is always related to length and taughtness, I believe you may need to open up your embouchre or pull back from the horn or both. Of course, this could make the altissimo difficult. That's why we practice until we figure out what works. Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by fbh
      (3 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks for the reply. Certainly I agree that one must keep intonation precise with one's own embouchure. Indeed I try. But those ol' c-melodies have always been infamous for funky intonation and the degree of sharpness that one encounters is far too much to be "lipped down". Thanks again for the reply.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

You cant play a c melody like a regular sax for one thing, it is designed liek an orchestral instrument, so you have to figure out what to do to make it play right - oral cavity adjusments and such. But altissimo? impressive, I cant get a single damn oen out fo mine, though I am still ont aht .04 tip m/p that came with it.

Reply To Post

1. by fbh
          (3 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks for the reply. By altissimo I simply meant notes above G above the staff. I have been trying two m/p's: Beechler and Morgan, both #5's, which have larger openings than the original m/p (which produces for me a pinched and stuffy sound). Anything above G is sharp.

Reply To Post