Saxophone Forum

by zeekman116
(27 posts)
14 years ago

New Mouthpiece

Hey guys. I'm in the Jazz Band at my school and we are a state renowned band. I'm a freshman, so I'm trying to get my witz about me. The question is, what is the best mouthpiece i could buy? i have searching Jody Jazz, Otto Link, and SR technologies. help me out here.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by zeekman116
    (27 posts)

14 years ago

Re: New Mouthpiece

sorry, i also play tenor

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

14 years ago

if you can find an OLD meyer, those are killer mouthpeices

Reply To Post

2. by jdcsax
    (14 posts)

14 years ago

Well...There really isn't a "best: mouthpiece out there, It all depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. I think the tenor has the most when it comes to variety of mouthpieces and sounds.Tip opening determines how free blowing the MP is. Wider tip opening equates to easier blow and added volume but require more control. The baffle is the roof of the mouthpiece chamber. A “high baffle” is when the baffle is built into the tone chamber, thereby reducing the chamber’ size. A high baffle gives a tone with more edge and brightness. Conversely, a “low baffle” results in a larger chamber and a somewhat darker sound. Some mouthpiece companies, such as Meyer, offer different combination's of tip opening chamber sizes. If you're looking for a brighter sound, I recommend going with a metal piece like Otto Link Super Tone, Guardala, or Ponzol. However, those can get really pricey. Some good hard rubber pieces would be Otto Link Tone Edge, Beechler Diamond, and Meyer. Those are considerably less expensive.Take in to consideration that it may require changing reed size too. The key is finding a piece that gives you a sound you really like. Good luck! -JDC

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

14 years ago

my otto link super tone master isnt that bright, and very dark for a metal mp. of course, its on alto, so they might have changed it for tenor. dukoffs dont sound that bad. theres a bunch of people with jody jazz mp. and really like them. Oddly enough, my rousseau JDX is a nice jazz mouthpeice (rousseau is a classical guy... what hes doing making jazz pieces is beyond me) on tip opening... go with something similar to what youre playing on now. its kinda a pain to switch back and forth between tip openings.

Reply To Post

3. by hemkestudent
    (5 posts)

14 years ago

My suggestion is to try some out. Places like woodwind and brasswind (among others) offer trials on mouthpieces. You can usually get 3-4 at a time, and you pay for the return shipping and disinfecting for the ones you return. Or find a local band store that has a wide variety you can choose from and/or try out. What works for your buddy may sound like a fog horn under water for you. Also, if you go this route, be flexible to try different reeds out too.

Reply To Post