Saxophone Forum

by mandoman
(8 posts)
20 years ago

New prosax for highschool new or vintage?

ok, so well i havent been ready to buy a new saxophone but now i am, its just a matter of finding the right one now. So im entering my 11nth grade year and i suppose i need a new alto saxophone or atleast thats what everyone else is doing so, between the 3000 and 4000 price range, whats some good horn options. Should i go with a Mark VI if so does year really matter? or should i go with a new keilwerth "shadow" or selmer reference 54 or what, give me your feedback please. I need some new options. thanks, greatly appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by bronzemonkey992
    (22 posts)

20 years ago

Re: New prosax for highschool new or vintage?

Wow, 3000 is alot of money for something that you are't sure if you really want. Plus, 3-4k is alot for a horn to just you in high school band. What else are you doing musically? What are your future plans for music? Is it just a hobby or are you considering it for college. There are alot of great horns out there that are considerably less than your price range. Selmer USA horns are great for HS. Not to toot my own horn, but you can still be a successful player on a cheap horn, a played a Selmer USA until my Sophmore year of college and I was an All-Stater in HS. So are you sure you want to throw all that money into a horn if you don't know your intentions or if you really want one? Goodluck,

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by mandoman
      (8 posts)

20 years ago

yes im sure i want to do this. Im not planning on doing it in college anymore, well, i may, i dont know, but even if it is just a hobby, i wouldnt mind putting the money into a good horn, Good horns keep their value, even if I decided its not what i want to do. But i do enjoy it and i do love it, its hard work but its fun, If you know of any good horns that are less i would love to know, but unless i get like a selmer series II or something i dont see how i could spend less, and a series II isnt much better than the horn i already have so i dont know. Maybe theres some brand ive never heard of but, I was just wanting some feedback on some of the horns i mentioned in my last post, so i could get an idea of how they are. but at any rate, thanks for you concern, and i know i could be good on the horn i have, but i dont know, i would just like to invest in my hobby, thanks again, appreciate it.

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

20 years ago

If you're planning to spend that much, you ought to be able to find a dealer who will let you try several different kinds before you buy, so you can decide what YOU like best, not what works for someone else. Unless, of course, all you want is the prestige of saying, "Look what I got!" in which case you don't want advice from me. I play for the sound, not the brand or the facade.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

20 years ago

Trying out the horn you're going to buy is required, especially when you spend that much money. If you don't want to spend all that money, the Yamaha Customs are great, and cheaper than selmer reference. I find the Yamaha keywork to be great, and much better than the selmers. Woodwind and Brasswind is a great place to try new horns, and they are great people to work with. I don't know what area you're in, but their website is www.wwbw.com Glad to help.

Reply To Post