Saxophone Forum

by saxolaan
(5 posts)
14 years ago

best vintage sop sax for not too crazy money

play Tenor and Bari for quiet some time (selmer,conn,buescher,etc), over two decades. looking now for the right soprano, don't need to be a selmer, but should be a good vintage horn. any recommendation from Pro Players are appreciated.thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamie_alto17
    (1 post)

14 years ago

Re: best vintage sop sax for not too crazy money

Hey saxolaan. So I have a couple of suggestions for the soprano you want. I would suggest first and foremost, a Selmer MarkVI, because its the best in the market. Now, I don't play soprano but all the saxophones are the same except of what key its in. My second suggestion would be a Conn soprano, those are good too. My last suggestion, if you could find one is a Keilwerth soprano. Hope this helps

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
      (396 posts)

14 years ago

I've played Conns and Bueschers, both nice horns except for the wretched thumb ring on the Conn, but my two favorites are Martin and Holton. I've been playing my Holton (mid-1920s) for 40 years and it has been a great little axe.

Reply To Post

2. by saxolaan
      (5 posts)

14 years ago

Hello and sorry for late reply. I did purchase my soprano from music-oldtimer at

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

14 years ago

I play on a Mark Vl Alto and Mark Vl Tenor!! I love them both but I wouldn't want a Mark Vl soprano!! I owned two Mark Vl sopranos and both were hard to play in tune in the upper register. The Yamaha YSS 61 is what I would choose.........Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxolaan
      (5 posts)

14 years ago

Hello and thanks for your reply. I did try the Mark VI, but they are selling for crazy money. And they not all this good as they claim. also I tried Buescher , Holten and vintage Martin Sopranos at the Music-Oldtimer shop. All of this this vintage Horns were much butter than the modern cheap made saxes. anyway, after spending a half day test playing sopranos and having fun with the music-odtimer staff I came down to two Sop's I really hade a decision on. a S.M.L Soprano and an Conn Soprano both excellent. they both my still pictured or cache at

Reply To Post

2. by ruisko
      (3 posts)

8 years ago

Hi! Why yss 61 and not yss 475?

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

8 years ago

I think because this post was made 7 years ago and the 475 had hot really caught on yet. People now knkow how great the Yamaha 475 really is. The silver plate 475 is especially amazing!!!

Cheers,
             Mark Overton
             www.saxquest.com  

Reply To Post