Saxophone Forum

by Hexaclon
(90 posts)
20 years ago

What the heck is wrong with my tenor buescher!!!!???

I have a 1922 true tone buescher I bought in ebay, the thing is it doesnt tune!! some people say its the key height. But, when I install my LA SAX neck it tunes!!!The original neck looks fine, and has the same laquer than the horn. It seemss like the origininal neck. What do yous think?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

20 years ago

Re: What the hell is wrong with my tenor buescher!!!!???

Those horns were designed to be used with large chambered mouthpieces. If you're using high-baffled small chambered rock-fusion mpcs, that may be the problem. Apparently, the tuning of a saxophone can be a precarious relationship between air column lenght and air column volume which is thrown off by small chambered pieces on old horns.

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
      (90 posts)

20 years ago

Wow... Thats new for me. I used to use a dukoff. But now I'm using otto link. Gonna check now with my otto link. Thnkas

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

20 years ago

Maybe that's my problem, too. I have an old student model Conn, and I solve the tuning problem by putting the neck on 3/32 of an inch higher than flush with the body. Which mouthpieces would have larger chambers? (I'm not a pro, so inexpensive would also be a plus.) Also, is it possible to try mouthpieces before you buy? Thanks!

Reply To Post

1. by Saxman2200
        (64 posts)

20 years ago

Yes, you can try them before you buy from certain dealers. Like I beleive wwbw.com (wood winds and brasswinds) lets you try mouthpieces. You will still have to pay a small fee, (better than buying ten different mouthpieces) I don't know exactly how much it is, I've never done it myself but I have friends who have. I'll get back to you on that. If you do it, get a couple of each brand, even different mouthpieces of the same make and model will each have thier own feel. That way you can sort through them to find the one best suited to you.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

20 years ago

Saxmom, The Old Bueschers like Hex has came with old Buescher/Rascher pieces. You can find them every once in a while, of course, on ebay. The most notable large-chambered pieces being manufactured today are being made by Ralph Morgan.

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

20 years ago

Would Morgan be the brand name? Would there be a style number to specify?

Reply To Post

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

20 years ago

Yes, Morgan is the name of the manufacturer. Keep in mind, I don't own one of his pieces, but there has been quite a bit of talk over at SOTW about them on old vintage horns. here's a few links about what Morgan offers: www.wwbw.com/Woodwind-Mouthpieces-Morgan-p2134773908d206.music www.junkdude.com/saxes/morgan_saxophone_models.htm

Reply To Post