Saxophone Forum

by UNT JazzSax
(1 post)
20 years ago

Selecting a Big Band Baritone Sax Mouthpiece

I am a student at the University of North Texas in Denton. My main instrument is alto and I play on a Meyer 6M for that horn and like the focus and projection I get. However, this semester I was put on bari in one of the jazz bands here. The school has provided a nice Mark VI bari, but I have to have my own mouthpiece. So I could have one for the first rehearsal I ran to a local music store and bought a couple random mouthpieces. A metal Brilhart 3 and a metal H-Couf 7. The Couf has nice volume, but it is hard to control and I'm scared to play it in a rehearsal. The Brilhart sounds okay, but it takes so much air to keep up with this very loud band that I literally have to take a breath every measure. I have a friend who playes a Berg Larson so I went to WWBW and there were so many variations on tip openings and chambers I didn't know where to start. In summary, I'm looking for a mouthpiece that I can control, the low notes come out easily, and that can project enough to anchor a big band sax section, without taking so much air as to make me pass out. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barimachine
    (323 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Selecting a Big Band Baritone Sax Mouthpiece

i play a jody jazz ESP and as your playing in a big band its got a big sound but its versital so you can easily use it all the time in jazz but its a big free blowing piece so the air you use will be well used took me a while to get used to when i was trying it out i could hardly get a note out but i would recomend getting around a 100 or so for you i play a 120 but im a bari player and a 100 can easily get the job done www.jodyjazz.com

Reply To Post

2. by barimachine
    (323 posts)

20 years ago

Fleming Instrument Repair www.FlemingRepair.com Ed Fleming takes a very hands on approach with his merchandise and although his shop is relatively new he has a great following of players in the Houston area and beyond. Fleming Instrument Repair 1918 W 18th St Houston, Tx 77008 713-426-3663 713-426-3681 fax Monday-Friday 9:30 -5:30 Saturday 10:00 - 2:00 they sell them i dont knwo where that is in relation to you

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
      (248 posts)

20 years ago

if you can find it, get a rubber lawton. MMMMMMMMMMMMM YUMMY. if not, meh, they're all the same on bari. i used a link tone edge; it was nice. got kind of a mulligan tone.

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
        (323 posts)

20 years ago

yea u wish u could carry a mulligan sound into a big band you need a big bari huge pulsating sound

Reply To Post

2. by JS
      (3 posts)

20 years ago

Hard rubber and/or metal Otto Link in a #7-7* tip opening, a hard rubber Meyer, or a hard rubber Berg Larsen (with the 2 0r 3 baffle) can and will do the trick. Gerry Mulligan used a Gale Hollywood for the majority of his career, and had no problems playing in a sax section - it's the player, not the gear.

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
        (323 posts)

20 years ago

i actually have a GALE 5 ... thats what he played and ive had it for a long time back when he was asking for a new one...*he chewed threw his from overuse...actually through and he was looking for one* it was my first piece but ive only been using it in my quartet as opposed to big band because its just not... there i guess...

Reply To Post