Saxophone Forum

by karebear1012
(395 posts)
20 years ago

Saxophone Journal?

I was looking up different jazz magazines, and I came across the Saxophone Journal. Does anyone know if this is a magazine worth subscribing to? It looked pretty good, but is say Downbeat better? My mom said she'll pay for a subscription to one magazine and I can't choose between Downbeat or Saxophone Journal. Any opinions? Thanks, Kara

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Saxophone Journal?

yea, I was wondering that too. There's also a magazine called Jazz Times. Is that any good? I suppose that the Saxophone Journal specializes in sax, but it's kinda expensive. It does come with a CD though. ......but the Downbeat comes with a T-Shirt. Tough choice, lol.

Reply To Post

1. by saxgrobie
      (86 posts)

20 years ago

Check out one of the issues before you subscribe. That's what I do anyway. Buy an issue of each and compare. :) Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by bronzemonkey992
        (22 posts)

20 years ago

Check out the website... for the Saxophone Journal... its a really cool magazine. It talks about jazz as well as classical playing. The CD masterclass with every issue is great. I know that if you don't like that you can get just the text for cheaper. www.dornpub.com

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

If I were you, I'd get Downbeat. It's way more reknown and popular, has jazz other than just sax, and is more fun to read.

Reply To Post