Saxophone Forum

by Sazzy_Sax
(14 posts)
20 years ago

Julius Keilwerth Sax Problem?

hi all.. i've got a julius keilwerth vintage sax a few months ago.. and the seller told me it was 45 yrs old.. i check websites and the serial no. correspond to the production year of the sax.. if i'm not wrong, the sax should be series III, oh and the keyguards on the side of the bell is plastic.. my setup: Vandorean #3.5, BG ligature and an ebonite mouth piece that originally came with the sax. now my problem is that when i start to play an A or G, sound i produce trembles... and it sounded horrible as compared to the sound i produce on my school saxophone(yamaha custom). It really sounded very "un-classical" and its very annoying whenever i get a very rough tone and especially with the tremble of the tone... I've checked the pads and it is not worn out or wat-so-ever... and the seller told me he changed the pads before selling it to me... So now, the problem i have is due to me? or my sax? or do i need more time to get used to the sax? when the seller played the sax and showed the different dynamics, running up and down the octaves, it was very impressive..i know that sax at 1950-1960s are hand made.. should i send it for repair?? Please please advise... thanks alot..

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Julius Keilwerth Sax Problem?

The horn may have a leak. If i had to make a guess, I'd say it was the B-C-A slave cup (the one at the top of the left-hand stack). The guy that sold it to you was probably accustomed to the leak, or it developed shortly after he sold it to you.

Reply To Post

1. by yoyo
      (17 posts)

20 years ago

ive had this problem before.it deffinetly a leak. i would reccomend that stick leak light down the body tube.this can be done by any tech or you could do it yourself.

Reply To Post

2. by Sazzy_Sax
    (14 posts)

20 years ago

eh thanks for the replies.. but if i discover a leak problem, how to i solve it?? the bad sound tt i produce really turns me off...

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

20 years ago

How adventurous are you? A tech could fix the pad leak in all of about 5 minutes. If you want to try to fix it yourself, you have to know what kind of leak it is. It could be based on the interaction of the mechanisms where a simple turn of a screw or a slight shimming of cork may solve the problem. It could also be because the pad isn't hitting the tonehole evenly so one side is closing but not the other - which requires some manual manipulation not generally for the faint of heart in that if you do things wrong, you could have a real mess on your hands. There's also the option of reseating the pad, but that's an even more delicate procedure. Are you mechanically inclined?

Reply To Post

1. by Sazzy_Sax
        (14 posts)

20 years ago

hm.... it sounds difficult... i notice the pad on the G key... the button that u press with yr third finger, the pad directly underneath it seems out of place.. the resonator is not in the middle of the tone hole.. is that the root of my problem?? if i send it for repair, how much will it cost??

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

If the resonator is hitting the edge of the tonehole, then that absolutely would be an issue as the pad won't seal all the way. If it's simply off-center but not hitting the tonehole, then that is not the source of your troubles. I address pad leaks by detaching the spring and evaluating how good the seal is with only gravity pulling the pad down onto the tonehole - no finger pressure. You should not have to mash the keys down to get a good seal. If you're able to diagnose what you think the problem is, then a tech might only charge $5 to $25 (depending on what kind of mood they are in) to address the problem. If you simply hand the horn across the counter and say "I dunno. It's broke - fix it", they may charge as much as $50 or so to do an overall adjustment. This is not a bad idea, actually, unless money is of great concern. They may be able to fine tune things - addressing other problems you may not be aware of. It could feel like a totally new horn to you when they're done with it. I think it's a great idea for every saxophone player to be able to go over their horn to manage their own minor adjustments, but it's just not for everyone. I just think it's fun. That's why I asked if you were mechanically inclined. If you are, then I'd nudge you to fiddle with it on your own. If you're not, just fork over the cash to your tech because the mechanics are far from simple.

Reply To Post

2. by Sazzy_Sax
          (14 posts)

20 years ago

icic.. it has been 4 years since i laid my hands on any mechanical stuff?? was never thought how to dismantle the sax or the mechanics in my 6 yrs of playing... lol... i'm living in a small island state nation of Singapore.. Any idea where can i get good repairs?? Sax_maniac: Could u brieftly provide how i can go about fixing my own sax? it'll be of great help... thanks alot...

Reply To Post

2. by charlietuba
        (2 posts)

20 years ago

wondering if you had your sax playing yet? Chuck

Reply To Post

1. by Sazzy_Sax
          (14 posts)

20 years ago

eh.. basically, i could still play on my sax.. but the tone i produce is kinda rough.. its juz that the "A" and "G" notes bother me alot whenever i play with the tremble... contacted a local repairman.. the price he quote me was alot more i can afford.. so i guess i have to save up real hard now... thx Vincent

Reply To Post

2. by Sazzy_Sax
          (14 posts)

19 years ago

hi chuck, i've juz sent it for repair, will be getting it back this weekend... the repairman found 6 leaks! Was shocked actually.. will update u if my sax plays well or not..

Reply To Post