Saxophone Forum

by ozzy2212ozzy
(6 posts)
20 years ago

Tenor & low brass question

my question: "In your band what section are the tenors in?" in my band we are considered low brass, and we have been since i was in the 6th grade band(and probally b4), now i am a sophmore and am low brass section leader ( i beat out 2 seniors and a junior, i also play baritone horn and french horn, so that contributed to it) But sum1 recently told me that they had never seen a band orginzed like this, but i have been through 4 BD's and they all left it that way! so... how is it handled in your band?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barimachine
    (323 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Tenor & low brass question

your teacher is probably not a sax player all our saxes are individual I know as a bari player we usually have trombone... tuba or basson parts but were still individual sections tenors are not low brass they have there own sweet lines

Reply To Post

1. by ozzy2212ozzy
      (6 posts)

20 years ago

our bd isnt a sax player, she is a trumpet player as ALOT of bds are, but now i am the only tenor player, so it is a lil hard for me be my own section, lol, but we have all out music re-written for our band, so i have the exact part as 1st and sumtimes 2nd trombones, so that may have sumthin to do with it, but i am not the 1st tenor to be LB section leader, for the last 3 it was another tenor player who graduated lasted year, so........

Reply To Post

1. by blog234
        (14 posts)

20 years ago

Tenors are usually stuck into a low brass section. When I was in middle school I was the only tenor, and I was stuck into the low brass section. In reality tenors are their own section because their parts are not always with the low brass, but with other parts of the band. O_o This is one of the many reasons why I love the jazz band. :D

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

20 years ago

thier..in the sax section with us, when we have sectional every sax shows up except bari..when we tune we do it by tenor, then alto and soprano voices, then all 3...since tenors tuning note is equivilant in pitch to a alto D theres no real way for us to tune together but we do anyway

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

your tenors tune to a g??????? tell them to stop immediately.

Reply To Post

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

20 years ago

G isn't a bode note to tune to, IMO. now for the altos, to tune to a D on any saxophone is completely counterproductive.

Reply To Post

4. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

actually, there is one. ONE sax with an in tune d; my alto(sarah.) her E andEb suck though

Reply To Post