Saxophone Forum

by bwsax
(2 posts)
14 years ago

Saxophone Necks

I have a series II Tenor sax that I have been playing on for some time. The problem I have is that in order to keep the saxophone in tune, I have to pull the mouthpiece out pretty far. With the mouthpiece being so far out on the tip, it tends to wobble a bit. I have actually exnted the neck by 1/4th of an inch, but that is not enouth. I'm not sure if I need a new neck or if I should continue extending the existing neck. Has anyone had similar experiences?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Saxophone Necks

Use an electronic tuner and have someone else play your horn, see if they have the same problem. Maybe it's your chops?? Try playing someone else' horn with your mouthpiece and see if you have the same problem. (then try another mouthpiece) If it's the horn I wouldn't extend the neck or buy another neck. Sell the horn and get another one....Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by bwsax
      (2 posts)

14 years ago

Thanks for the response. I have tried another mouthpiece, and I had to push it in further. I wish it were only my chops, as it is a lot cheaper than purchasing a new horn. However, I've been playing for 20 years, professionally for over 10 years, and didn't have this issue with my last horn. If buying a new horn is out of the question, would you recommend a new neck or extending the existing neck?

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

14 years ago

If youre buying a new neck I hear Gloger-handkraft does good work.

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

14 years ago

Sounds to me like a mouthpiece problem?? You say that the other mouthpiece you tried, you had to push it in further?? If you are a pro like me, chances are you can't afford a new horn. I'm so glad for the Mark Vl tenor and alto I've had for years. You surely have a backup mouthpiece. I've got a couple extras in both my cases. They are expensive but you have to play.... My guess it's the mouthpiece.........Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by zootspiker
      (13 posts)

13 years ago

I just received my glogger today. (Silver thin wall) for my SA80 Ser II. It's pretty amazing. Harmonics are very present and a clean tone top to bottom.
      Michael Krechevsky
      King Silversonic Tenor

Reply To Post

1. by AntonRoth
        (4 posts)

13 years ago

There are these jupiter necks on the market. I have three of them, they are surprisingly good. Before giving lots of money, it makes sense to give them a try. Transzendentale Meditation

Reply To Post

3. by gloss1
      (27 posts)

12 years ago

That is so unusual for a Series II. Have you had the key heights checked out. Not everyone is a master at this adjustment. Shop around. Whats listed as standard can vary a ton. This is where your key height expert can really dial you in. We need more people out there that can learn this trade form the rare old school experts.

Reply To Post

1. by saxgourmet
        (127 posts)

12 years ago

key heights as a route to good intonation is a fool's game....true, if you lower a key, you will lower the pitch and reduce the voice, but any opening beyond 30% of the diameter of the tone hole has no effect whatsoever....none....zero....na na.....the trick is to move the effective center of the tone hole....anybody who says they are an expert at getting good intonation by merely adjusting the key heights is either delusional, deaf, or pulling your leg....you can adjust the voice of a note, but can't do much with the pitch

STEVE GOODSON
        New Orleans
        www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post