Saxophone Forum

by mega band geek
(60 posts)
20 years ago

Unison any good?

I'm looking to buy a tenor and a Unison was recommended to me. Are Unison horns any good?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by AltoAnarchy
    (2 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Unison any good?

I have been playing on a Unison for 3 years now.This sax along has helped me to retain my first chair spot for all 3 years. Unison can have a great tone quality and with the right reeds can have great articulation (if you have the right skills of course). 3 Other Alto players in my band also use this brand of insturment and love it.  I use it during marching band. It gives a great loud full sound when I play with a plastic reed. When I use in my wind ensemble I play with a leather ligiture and vandoren size 3 reed. The sax is easy to move around on and with skill can have a great classical sound. For Jazz band I have a otto link mouth piece and size 2 1/2 vandoren Jazz ZZ reed. The sax gives a great jazzy sounds. This saxophone is easy to change styles on and is easy to manipulate tone and dynamics. It does take some work to keep it up to tip top shape but over all I just take it in a couple times a year and it sounds Amazing for me!!! So give it a try cause I love my sax! :)

Reply To Post

2. by sodd
    (2 posts)

3 years ago

This thread is great, even 16 years on. I hope there is more of this arguing over nothing in the future.

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
      (842 posts)

3 years ago

If pointless arguing is your thing, you might be better off at SOTW.

Reply To Post

1. by sodd
        (2 posts)

3 years ago

Watching other people getting irate unnecesarily? Oh yes. Thanks for the advice. I'l Make an account there but your comment suggests that it doesn't go on here? Surely this thread proves otherwise no?

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
          (842 posts)

3 years ago

Troll feeding time is over.  That's all I have to say to you.

Reply To Post

2. by zrice03
        (6 posts)

20 years ago

NOOOO!!!! My school got a Unison Bari Sax and it is horrible. The mid range is 30 to 40 cents flat and from C# up is just about a half-step sharp (the high F# is an in-tune altissimo G). I've heard OK things about the Goodson models, but I'd recommend looking elsewhere. Yamaha has decent horns (I'm currently playing a YAS-62 and love it) and aren't very expensive. Another recommendation would be Keilwerth, which play like Selmers but don't come with the price tag.

Reply To Post

3. by YanagisawA-901
        (312 posts)

20 years ago

i dont like stupid ppl...IF YOU HAVE TO QUESTION WETHER ITS A SAX, OR A DAMN STAR TREK WORD, OR U DONT KNOW WETHER ITS GOOD OR NOT, DONT GET IT!!! to me these are the only MODERN brands worth looking at, not counting vintage joints.. -yamaha -kielwerth -selmer -yanagisawa -maybe la?? i donno check on that one guys -thats it!!!! nothing else is worth ur time, except maybe an antigua winds, theyre decent.......

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

yeah i agree with yanagisawA...if you haven't heard of it, and you don't know if it's any good...it probably isn't. definately try all the ones that were listed already. la sax is ok...not the best, and antigua winds is pretty good. i have an antigua soprano and it plays great. if you're going to try yamaha, just check with a more experienced player first, because some yamahas have problems with pitch and stuff... keilwerth is awesome (expensive though), and i love selmers. good luck, kara

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
            (559 posts)

20 years ago

Keilwerths play nothing like selmers smarty pants. They are like a really wimpy conn from the 20's with a high price tag, AND keilwerths run about the same as the selmers do, only a small amount less.

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
              (395 posts)

20 years ago

oh gee..thanks a lot to you too smarty pants. then i guess i meant to say selmers AND keilwerths are expensive. AND i never said i LIKED keilwerths..i just said they were expensive.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
              (559 posts)

20 years ago

I wasnt talking to you. I was talking to zrice - you never said anything about keilwerths playing like selmers.

Reply To Post

3. by karebear1012
              (395 posts)

20 years ago

oh, jeez..i'm sorry. and yeah, selmer doesn't sound like keilwerth. cya

Reply To Post

4. by barimachine
              (323 posts)

20 years ago

geez stop goin nuts everyone maybe they just sound enuff so that his tone stays through both saxes and sound similar to him btw i like keilwerth baris i play a selmer but i love the black werths the shadow is good too

Reply To Post

5. by singhudit61
              (1 post)

3 years ago

I hope there is more of this arguing over nothing in the future. https://hellodear.in

Regards, https://teatv.ltd

Reply To Post