Saxophone Forum

by FredCDobbs
(77 posts)
20 years ago

Looking for a 10M Sax Case

I've just acquired a Conn 10M tenor, about 1954, and I'm looking for a good case for it. It has the bell pad cups on the left side, so it may not fit standard cases (it didn't fit the one I tried). Anyone know if some of the modern cases will work (Pro-Tec, Garde, SKB, etc.)? Suggestions? Any help will be appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Looking for a 10M Sax Case

I used to have a 10M of similar vintage and design and bought a ProTec contoured case for it to replace the smelly suitcase it came in, and it worked marvelously. I use the same kind of case to protect my current vintage tenor with the same great success. Pro Tec's rectangular cases are not as protective and I don't like it's contact points, though there's a lot more storage space inside the case. With the contoured case, you can store the neck and one mouthpiece on the inside, but extras go into an outer zipped pocket (which is quite large and handy). www.wwbw.com/Protec-Pro-Pac-Contoured-Tenor-Sax-Case-i16048.music This is the one to get.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

20 years ago

for an original, try gayle, that where I got the case for my new wonder.

Reply To Post

1. by FredCDobbs
        (77 posts)

20 years ago

The contoured Pro-Tec was one that I was looking at. The original case the horn came in is still functional, but I take it to work each day and practice at lunch in an old, cluttered warehouse , so something compact and easy to lug around would be best. You've both been very helpful. Thanks much.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

It's awesome that you have a place like that to practice at work. Interesting acoustics in the warehouse? The best I can pull off at work is soprano or maybe alto sitting in my car in the parking lot. I like the acoustics at the bottom of stairwells or in an unfinished basement. You should see if anyone at work wants lessons during lunch! I suppose I could always hang out at the entrance with the case open looking for tips. There is a WalMart across the street, but I'd be afraid that there'd be more money taken out than thrown in.

Reply To Post

2. by FredCDobbs
          (77 posts)

20 years ago

The acoustics are great--cinder block walls with metal roof, so the sound tends to be accentuated but not distorted. Only problem is heat in the summer and cold in the winter, when my fingers go numb! I'd be happy to stand on a corner and play the best I can for alms, but I'm afraid I'd be arrested as a public nuisance.

Reply To Post

2. by argonne
        (24 posts)

19 years ago

saz maniac, I just went to a local store to test the fit of a Protec 305 case as recommended, and found there was a pad that caused the horn to rest on the rods to the G# cluster. Do they make a case with a different pad configuration? Or is there another case that might work?

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Is the 305 the contoured or the rectangular? I didn't like how the rectangular case had a pad that stressed the rods towards the top, but I don't remember the contoured having that issue with my 10M. The nice thing about the ProTec design is you can take the standalone pads and reposition them elsewhere in the case as needed. They can be pulled out and hot glued where it makes sense for your particular horn. Obviously, not every case will fit every horn perfectly I don't have any other recommendations in terms of brands. ProTec contoured ProPac has always served me well. I did use a Walt Johnson for a modern Selmer alto as long as I owned it. That was an awesome case, but very expensive compared to ProTec, and much less functional in terms of storage space.

Reply To Post

1. by FredCDobbs
            (77 posts)

19 years ago

I just carefully checked the orientation of my 1954 10M in its ProTec Contour case, and I'm satisfied that the G# tubes are not under any undue tension. They rest comfortably on a flexible piece of foam wrapped in fuzzy material, and the main weight of the horn's lower end is supported by the lower key guards that are cushioned by the same material, so the tubes and rods are not really weight bearing. I put my finger under them, and there was very little pressure. I've not had any real problems with this case. My only complaint: when it is unzipped and the top fully raised, the top unbalances the whole affair and tips it backwards, horn and all. But everything stays in place, so it's something easy to live with.

Reply To Post

2. by argonne
            (24 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the interest guys. This was a contoured Protec 305 case with the canvas outer lining. From what you're saying it sounds like they may have some variations in the interior pad configuration. The one I test-fitted did not have a raised pad where the lower bell keys could rest, so the weight of the middle part of the horn was effectively resting on the G# rods and tubes. I did look to see if it was moveable but seemed that it would have ripped the fuzzy lining had I pulled much harder. It seems like velcro would be a great option for the makers to utilize. Then again, we're probably the only ones here that have to worry about this kind of thing. So maybe I just have to go and look at the interiors of various 305's to see if the pads look right? In your opinion(s) would I do best to try and find one of these that looks like it will work or is it worth looking at some of the contoured cases with the hard plastic/fiberglass exterior? Thanks again, much appreciated

Reply To Post

3. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

19 years ago

It is certainly worth looking at other cases to see if there's a better fit. Be careful, though. I don't remember the brand, but I remember looking at a plastic case once - it looked far sturdier than it actually was. When the case is closed, you should not be able to compress the shell much if you were to sit on it. I could have danced on my Walt Johnson case and not worried about it. As far as moving the pad around the case to a better position, yes, you do have to pull away the pad from the fabric and reglue it. Not ideal, but it certainly works. I'm still wondering what the "305" is. Can you describe it?

Reply To Post

4. by FredCDobbs
            (77 posts)

19 years ago

Argonne, I ordered my case last year from WWBW, about $116. The warranty card labels it BAND PB-305CT, and that's also used in the WWBW part #. I'd call WWBW and have them describe the interior of the case to you. It should have the raised cushion, about 8 inches, at the left side of the case.

Reply To Post

5. by argonne
            (24 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks again for the thoughts guys. sax maniac, the "305" I referred to is essentially the case you provided a link to, near the top of this thread. Its a rigid contoured case with a canvas exterior, and exterior canvas pockets. The model number is PB-305CT as noted above by FredCDobbs. FredCDobbs, the case I saw did have a raised cushion in approximately the position you describe, but the problem is that the entire horn was so high off the bottom that this cushion was the only thing supporting the middle of the horn. In any case (no pun intended), it seems like there shouldn't be any weight resting on those rods as they would become damaged before they could provide any real support anyway so I don't really see a purpose for this cushion even if it only slightly touches the rods. What can I say, I'm an engineer so my brain is burdened with these concerns... Ah well, It's good advice to call or go look at more cases since somehow the version of the case I saw must have been different than the ones you guys are using. I guess I'm just tired of people going "huh, you have what kind of horn... yeah I don't know about that" Thanks again, cheers

Reply To Post