Saxophone Forum

by grodk56
(3 posts)
13 years ago

Overtone issues

I now own a YTS-23 tenor saxophone and have been playing it for about 5 years. Throughout the time, I have never been able to achieve any altissimo notes past F#. I also find it hard to play overtones. I'm wondering, is it because I have a student saxophone that I am having these issues?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by someguy
    (80 posts)

13 years ago

Re: Overtone issues

I had the same issues on an old Majestic Tenor my dad handed down to me. I now play on Keilwerth horns sx90r alto, sx90 tenor. Both are exceptional with overtones and altissimo, if I could only play in that range regularly. Point, the horn does make a signifigant difference in your ability to reach different tones.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

13 years ago

I think the mouthpiece is even more important than the horn. Personally, I play a Mark Vl tenor with a Jody DV mouthpiece. The altissimo is easier to reach with the Jody, but what I'm excited about is the low register. It really honks!! Altissimo isn't that big a deal to me. Trumpet players all want to go higher and higher. Me, I want to play good ideas with a good sound.
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

13 years ago

If the horn is tight and well regulated, there will be no issue with the over tones..I've played on many 23's, and have found the overtone series to be solid. It's either the mouthpiece, or your chops..you might check out Dave Liebman's book "Developing a Personal Saxophone Sound". An excellent piece of Work. Or. Rascher's "Top tones for Saxophone". Overtones don't come easy on the best of horns...Hi, Kelsey.

Reply To Post