Saxophone Forum

by oldtenorpicker
(5 posts)
13 years ago

this forum

What a nice forum! I've been a saxophone player since 1952, primariry Tenor, but also play alto, and baritone. Can't stand the sound of a soprano, although I owned one once, a gift from one of my uncles. It was a conn, don't remember the model. It was stolen from me when I was on a road band in the late 50's. I bought a new Selmer MkVI while on that band and thought it was a marvelous horn, but expensive. Paid $750 for it new. 1958. I actually wore it out, by 1980 the action was sloppy, and it leaked badly. Had it overhauled twice before that. It was a good horn. Since then I've played King Super 20, Selmer Mark VII, two more Mk VI's, and a Herb Couf Keilwerth, which I believe is the same horn as the SX90R. Can't prove that, but they sure look the same. Never played a Cannonball, so I don't know a thing about them. I'm considering selling my Couf, but they don't seem to command a lot of money right now, so I may not do it. My playing days are winding down, the economy is terrible, gigs are scarce, but I still want to keep a decent horn around, and my Couf is getting old. To its credit, it's the best sounding horn I've ever played, I don't care for a lot of brightness, and this horn is on the dark side, but still capable of playing harmonics up to a "D". All of them, including "Ab". Low Bb subtone is fairly easy, not quite as easy as the Yamaha Custom that one of my friends owns, but his horn is brighter than my Couf. I totally agree with the post which said the combination of horn and mouthpiece is more important that either the horn or the mouthpiece. It took me about 40 years to find that combination, and it turns out to be David Hite's mouthpiece, and Peter Ponzol's #3 reeds. I've had dozens of mouthpeices, from Links to low baffle Meyers, metal and rubber, and still try new things. Y'know what made the biggest difference in my sound? It was when I had major dental work done. Fortunately, my local dentist has the sensitivity to work with musicians and make sure that the teeth are right for the job. I took my mouthpiece to the dentist office when we were ready to fit my new front crowns, and Doc matched the teeth to the mouthpiece without making any real aesthetic difference! Yes, it can be done. Enjoy your playing, it doesn't last forever.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

13 years ago

Re: this forum

I agree completely that Couf saxophones have a great dark warm tone. They are one of the great under-valued horns out there. Thanks for jumping onto the forum. Its always good to hear from guys who have experience being out there playing for a while!!!

Reply To Post