Saxophone Forum

by swingin_jazz_cat
(2 posts)
13 years ago

Reed thickness help

Hey guys, need some help here. I'm looking into getting back into playing again. I was a music ed major back in college, but had to drop out for financial and family reasons. But I need to pick my horn back up. I used to play on Vandoren reeds (ZZ, JAVA, and V-16) size 5 (yes, I play size 5 and even that is starting to be a little too soft for me, lol). Anyway, i'm wanting to try out the Rico Select Jazz reeds (one of my favorite players uses them and I like his sound). The thing is, it's been almost 3 years since i've played. I'm not sure what size reeds to get. Unlike all the Vandoren reeds, the Rico Select Jazz numbering is different. Instead of 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, they have 2s/m/h, 3s/m/h, etc... So given the information here, where should I start on these reeds? And any tips for my next question would be awesome as well: I have a Selmer Paris Mark VI (model 216873). I have 3 different mouthpieces, a Slemer Paris LT, a Premiere by Hite (the model number has faded) and a metal Bery Larsen (model number has faded away). The sound i'm looking at getting is a rough jazz sound, but also something kind of rock sounding for the praise band i'll be playing with soon. I'm not sure which types of reeds are best for those sounds, and which of the mouthpieces should be used. I try to steer clear of the metal one, because i've always had issues with it (always going sharp, low notes are hard to get out without working down to them). I realize i'm looking at two different sounds between the jazz and rock, so i'm expecting different reed recommendations for different sounds. Some tips here would be awesome. Hope it's ok for me to have two slightly different questions in one thread, lol. Thanks again, guys. Unfortunately, my sax professor back in college was more concerned with making me a great player than he was with teaching me about reeds and mouthpieces, though I do understand it varies by individual and by the equipment used. I can't afford to buy any new mouthpieces, so don't bother recommending me getting a certain one :P

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by swingin_jazz_cat
    (2 posts)

13 years ago

Re: Reed thickness help

By the way, the player I referred to earlier who's sound I like is Karl Hunter from Big Bad Voodoo Daddy: youtu.be/gM6gJVqc6WQ[/url his solo at 1:30 youtu.be/hqETtxxR18Q[/url solo at 1:00

Reply To Post

2. by Snorlaxaphone
    (3 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Reed thickness help

Ricos are the cheap brand and they are crappy use vandorians

Reply To Post