Saxophone Forum

by csjackson
(1 post)
13 years ago

Odd spots on bell of Cannonball Big Bell Alto

I bought a Cannonball Big Bell Alto in December. I just graduated high school and am majoring in music education this semester on saxophone. Took out the sax today after about a month of not playing it and noticed that there were many spots on the bell, most were just dark but a few were green. It is the Mad Meg Unfinished alto. Should I be worried? Will this destroy the instrument? Is it reversible? Please respond. Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by huesax
    (2 posts)

13 years ago

Re: Odd spots on bell of Cannonball Big Bell Alto

Oxidation forms on bare bras instruments very quickly, you'll see brown and/or green spots developing. You need to ensure you wipe down the horn after every session. Run a swab through the bore to ensure no moisture remains that may leak out to different parts of the horn. Get a can furniture polish, e.g Lemon pledge. Spray it on a dry cloth and wipe down the all parts of the horn, also get some Q-Tips to clean the small tight areas between the keys. The lemon in the furniture polish will help in cleaning up the brass, the wax actually helps protect the bare brass from moisture. you'll see a big difference in doing this routine maintenance. This is what i use on my bare brass P. Mauriat Tenor.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

13 years ago

Re: Odd spots on bell of Cannonball Big Bell Alto

and, no, you don't need to worry, and, no, it won't destroy the sax, and congrats on getting ahold of a really fine sax..the mad meg altos rock.

Reply To Post