Saxophone Forum

by moxx341
(5 posts)
20 years ago

I Think IM Good But........

Well i think im good and everyone else at school thinks im awsome... even my band teacher thinks im awsome....but im having trouble with some of the notes. such notes as high D and high G dont sound right but nobody ever hears me cause im ussually being overpowered by the rest of the band. Im also having trouble with reeds, most of the ones i play, that are ussaually 2 and a halfs, are going soft exremmly fast and then my tone is very quiet and almost muffled. Im pretty positive that im good, well atleast better then the other saxes, but i just hvae trouble with tones. Wut should i do??? Should i get a new reed???

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by FutureBandTeacher
    (45 posts)

19 years ago

Re: I Think IM Good But........

Upgrade to a harder reed like mine-- a 3.5 is what I'm on right now, and when I switched from 3.0 to 3.5, my tone quality doubled. Check posture also-- spine away from back of seat, back straight, body facing director totally. That helps a whole lot!

Reply To Post

2. by Edde Osborne
    (4 posts)

20 years ago

Yes definitely change your reed. A stiffer reed will last longer but you'll find yourself blowing a lilttle harder to get notes especially the lower register. keep up the good work.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxman2200
      (64 posts)

20 years ago

Have you tried Legaire reeds? They are synthetic, so they last a good long while. I would suggest them for lower instrument's not so much for alto though, which one do you play? If you play alto, than the legaire is a no go. I would suggest moving your reed higher up on your mouthpiece, with less of an opening it will play like a harder reed.

Reply To Post

3. by Tenor_Guru
    (25 posts)

19 years ago

If you want to stay with a soft reed, mabye try the Bari brand reed (soft or med soft). They sound near as good as regular reeds with two or three times the life.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by saxophonist_104
    (148 posts)

16 years ago

i find that if i pull the reed slightly back from the end of the mouthpiece, it helps out with volume.

Reply To Post

5. by Bluesepsilon
    (2 posts)

19 years ago

What brand are you using? I usually buy Vandoren 3.5's, but recently I've been a little disappointed in the consistency and quality of the reeds. I've had a couple nice boxes of Glotin reeds, but they're sort of hard to find in my area. See if you can try other brands; you might find something that works a little better for you. I've had similar problems with reeds going soft, though. That's why I bought Vandoren 3.5's, even though they're a little stiff for my mouthpiece. I playtest each reed individually and then, if a reed is too hard, I'll use fine sandpaper and take some wood off the back of the reed until it feels just right. You can also work the front of the reed if it isn't symmetrical. Just the act of sanding and sealing the back of a reed [by rubbing it] makes it last a lot longer. I also recommend taking extra care when breaking reeds in--a little extra time here can add weeks or more to the life a good reed. Best of luick with your reeds!

Reply To Post

1. by saxgrobie
      (86 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, before you buy a reed, hold it up to the light. If the inner core part of it is not symetrical its probably a dud. I buy Vandoren 4's and normally they are really good, but every now and then I get a bad one. Friday night at a football game I was playing my lungs out, then all of a sudden: *SQUEEK!* It was embarassing because I was acting like a big shot in front of all the freshmen. Of course it was quite funny, but it was not very great for the ego . . . : ) Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Armstrong Alto!
        (19 posts)

19 years ago

Vandoren 4's for me too. i hate ricos...i had some bad experineces with those. Kelsey, i know how ya feel. I play as loud as i can in those instances, and sometimes those darn Bb's or whatever other accientals just sneak in and screw ya up. and grobie, what grade are you in? I moved to 4's midway through my junior year, an i still have trouble getting all the notes out.

Reply To Post

1. by saxgrobie
          (86 posts)

19 years ago

I'm a sophmore. : ) Somehow, I can do fine with the low notes, its just the breath support I can get a little shaky on, mostly when I'm marching. Yes, I still have like a 2 year old, unused Rico in my case. Its is for absolute emergencies. I hate those things. Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Edde Osborne
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

Edde, I've just switched over to alto sax and I can't get high F sharp or high G. I can only get up to high F. Why is that. I've played soprano sax for ten years so it's not like I don't have the armature. I don't seem to be playing the correct fingering to get high F sharp or high G. Can you tell me what I need to know?

Reply To Post

3. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

If your alto doesn't have the keys for G or F sharp, it's going to be tough to hit them. Sopranos normally go to High G, but altos are keyed to high F, and more modern ones, High F sharp. If you don't have a key for High F Sharp, then you should start working on altissimo and overtones. Good luck.

Reply To Post

4. by Edde Osborne
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for that bit of information. I was going nuts trying to figure what I was doing wrong. I see why there are more and more soprano sax players out there. I love playing soprano but alto has a very mello tone and I wanted to play more of it. I don't really like tenor at all. However, I do know tenor does go up pretty high once one develops the chops for it. It's strange because I'm so use to playing soprano sax and getting up as high as high B flat so I couldn't understand why I couldn't get high F sharp or high G on the alto. I almost went crazy trying to figure out what was wrong with me or my horn. I have an old Conn by the way and it doesn't have the F sharp key. I'll rest my case with alto sax. I use it on what I can use it on. I'll be performing at Sinclair College in Dayton, Ohio tomorrow for a fashion show in building #12 from 11:00 AM till 1:30 PM. Tonight I'm at Chuck's Jazz Lab 1832 Lakeview Avenue in Dayton, Ohio from 10:00 until. Tomorrow I'll also be performing at Wings and Thing 4280 Salem Avenue in Dayton, Ohio from 6:00 till 9:00 PM. If you get a chance stop by and say Edde send you! Peace out!

Reply To Post

2. by rockinrobin_11
        (1 post)

19 years ago

Vandoran 3.5 Used them all through high school at the suggestion of a judge for our pre- Solo/Ensemble concert. I always found that they worked wonderfully, both for alto and tenor. perhps, if the reeds don't help with your tone, you'll want to get your instument looked at at your local music sore. Perhaps there is something wrong with the insturment, and air leak or something. :)

Reply To Post

1. by CCHSbandgeek
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

WOW! ya'll are good! I'm a freshman (boo...i know) and i'm still on a 2.5...is there anything i shoul look for th change? I think i have threes around the hosue somehwere...but i was just wondering before i did change...I really don;t ever have a problem getting out high notes (i have played in my middle school jazz band, so maybe it's from playing to hard, and being the only one who knew what they were doing)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by tenor562
            (297 posts)

19 years ago

yea, I'm an eighth grader. 2.5's are fine, that's what I use. When you play legit, you should probably move up to a 3 as a minimum strength, I'm in the middle of changing. Michael Brecker uses around a 2.5 so you can tell that reed strength doesn't say everything. However, there's my teacher, who is a pretty accomplished musician and he uses as hard as a reed as he can find. I guess it's just on preference and the strength of your embouchoure.

Reply To Post

1. by mintyfreshjam
              (48 posts)

19 years ago

Hey guys, I'm a freshman in college, so I think I might be able to help you guys out, if not, then I'm sorry I couldn't. Moxx - Just get a harder reed. You're playing on 2 1/2. I stopped those when I was in seventh grade because I ran into the same problems you had. Move to a 3. My recomendations for those would be Vandoren Blue Box. They hold up real well. For jazz, I play on Vandoren ZZ, but they're made for the more experienced player because of the thinner tip. In place of that, until you feel like you're ready for those, I'd go with Vandoren V16. Saxman - Synthetic reeds aren't the way to go. The sound is terrible. It's thin and airy. Not the thick, rich sound you're going to want on your horn. Grobie - You squeaked because you were overblowing. The air was uncontrolled and it cause the reed to vibrate erratically and that in turn, created the squeak. Edde - Check your emboucher. They're different from horn to horn. Your emboucher on the Soprano will be smaller and tighter than your emboucher on Alto. Tenor562 - Brecker doesn't play on 2 1/2. He wouldn't be able to finish a concert if he did. That strength of reed won't hold up on the notes he plays. He's playing on at least a 3 1/2, maybe a 4. I hope this helped all y'all.

Reply To Post

2. by RoYrOy
              (51 posts)

19 years ago

Look guy's, I'm gonna put it very very clear, in Puerto Rico(where I live) there aren't many sax players, over here the big thing is guitar and jazz isn't so popular, but I absolutely love it, I adore it and music is my passion. I'm 16 and I have been playing tenor sax for about a year know, and people say that I play well, but I think I sound pretty lousy, I mean I think I suck compared to alot of people, I was wondering if you guys could give me some help as to how to practice, what to practice, how to get better and what's the most important. I know alot, but there are still things I don't know. I'd appreciate the help!

Reply To Post

3. by saxman0317
              (53 posts)

19 years ago

If u wanna do jazz, look for a good Jamie Abersold collection with a CD, if not, then get Universal Meathod for Sax. Awsome books and good for any level. I know ppl in collage, playing for 13+ years that still use these.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by saxman0317
            (53 posts)

19 years ago

I always say this, change the reed every month or two, and if u play one thats just AWSOME, dont use it, save it for concerts. And, yes, get harder reeds.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Dirty_Reggae
              (55 posts)

19 years ago

I gotta say, this thick reed=better thing is starting to bother me. Your not better if you play on a thicker reed. There are a ton of college students and maybe even pros that will use a 3. Its all relevent to your peice. I was always taught that a long facing should use a hard reed and a short should use a soft. However, i could be way off. Im welcome to convincing. As for being "good" do NOT let it get to your head. Ive seen way too many awesome players get sucked into the "im better, shes better, he sucks, she sucks" attitude. Its BAD. If you really love to play then just play and play with everyone else. It doesn't matter whos great or not.

Reply To Post

2. by Dirty_Reggae
              (55 posts)

19 years ago

p.s. Jamie Aebersolds are great for everyone. Beginers and pros.

Reply To Post

3. by Er087
              (7 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, the Aebersolds are really good. Also, you could check out the Charlie Parker Omnibook. It's got a really nice collection of transcribed solos that are fun to play as well a challenging. Oh, and try to listen to all the jazz you can (which you probably do already it sounds like). That's the best way to really get a good jazz feeling and vocabulary.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by alwaysbored366
              (1 post)

19 years ago

Usually the thicker the reed is the better your tone will be. I would recommend buying a box of 3's, playing those for a while, then moving up to 3.5's. If you still dont like your tone with 3.5 reeds you could go higher, but you might just need a new mouthpiece. If you have a jazz mouthpiece with a larger tip opening you should use a softer reed. The reeds i typically use are either Vandoren ZZ's or Hempkes. Lately ive been getting a lot of bad Vandoren reeds, but that may just be bad luck.

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I wouldn't use a reed any harder than a 3 1/2. Get a mouthpiece with a more open facing and go back to a 2 1/2 reed!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by snowcat
              (2 posts)

19 years ago

Try soaking your reeds, they'll last a lot longer.

Reply To Post