Saxophone Forum

by Bari Saxy
(1 post)
13 years ago

Alto Sax surprisingly hard to play?

I'm in the Clovis High School Marching Band, (We're extremely good, no joke. Best in the state... And in the top three of another) and I play the Bari sax, now when I was in Sixth and Seventh (I'm in Ninth now) I played the Alto. I forgot to bring my Bari home the other day and so I decided to practice with my alto, only now its surprisingly hard to play. Does anybody know what I might check? I figured I would check to make sure it wasn't a technical problem before I went and changed the way I play. Cause I don't wanna affect my Bari Saxy playing skills. *Note- In Sixth and Seventh grade I did not really want to be in band, and thus didn't do anything for my sax. I took it to school, faked playing most of the time and that was the end of it.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

13 years ago

Re: Alto Sax surprisingly hard to play?

Bari Saxy, sounds like a combination of a perhaps a leak in your alto (and or) loss of your alto playing chops. I play tenor and alto, and if I lay off on one or the other for a while it takes me a while to get back where I'm playing OK!! To avoid this I practice both, I alternate days..... It wouldn't hurt to have your alto checked out by a local repairman. It might just be the horn??.........Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM