Saxophone Forum

by ScapJazz
(5 posts)
12 years ago

Love for Jazz. Strong desire to learn.

Hello everybody,

My name is Mike and I have recently developed a strong desire to play the music that I love so much.  I joined this forum in hopes of getting some information and advice on the type of sax that a beginning alto player (who has an interest in the sounds similar to Eric Darius) should search for. At this point I am open to ANYTHING. Please help! I am looking forward to joining the saxophone community.  As of now, I'd like to spend no more than $400.00 on a used sax. Any advice on ways to get up and on my feet would be great as well... ie. Are proffessional lessons necessary? How much time is reasonable to practice each day?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Love for Jazz. Strong desire to learn.

For $400 your best bet is probably a used American made student model saxophone. If you're patient and you know what you're looking for you can find local deals on used 60's or 70's Conn, Buescher Aristocrat, King 613, or Selmer Bundy. Also, look for a Yamaha 23. These are all decent student model saxophones. My wife started her saxophone life on a used 70's vintage King 613 and it got her all the way through high school. It blows a lot like a Zephyr with a nice free blowing core sound and decent intonation.

The key is to have it checked out by a reputable shop or another player who knows what to look for in a used saxophone. Check for past dents, resolders, filed tone holes, broken or replaced keys, etc......

The good news is that you can find a decent used saxophone for $400, but unless you're lucky, it won't happen overnight. Another piece of advice, is not to waste your time with cheap $300-$600 new horns. These are almost all junk with very poor build quality. If a dealer is trying to sell you on a new $400 saxophone I'd walk away.

Reply To Post

1. by vonbraig
      (4 posts)

12 years ago

Check out my site

www.stljazzimprov.com

There is a ton of free stuff that will help you out even if you have never played.  I also teach via skype

Best

Christopher Braig 

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

12 years ago

I agree about used American horns. Or if you can find a used Yamaha 23 it would also be good. Good luck...........Kelsey

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by krestonsmith
        (12 posts)

12 years ago

I agree with the Yamaha 23 or maybe even a 52. There is one on Ebay for $650 right now. I would practice the same time everyday. Do not set a time on yourself but more of a goal for different exercises and ideas. Keep a journal and track your progress and goals.

I.E.

1. 15 minutes - Long Tones
        2. 15 Mionutes - Major Scales
        3. 15 Minutes - Improvising around a major scale over a Keyboard drum Machine
        4. 15 minutes - Playing a tune or piece of music

THat is an hour practice, but you could also make it 5 long tones, 5 scales, and 5 pieces and not worry about the time. Each approach works.

As far as learning how to play jazz, read my other post on this topic . ..

Good Times and Happy Playing. . . .

Reply To Post

3. by ScapJazz
      (5 posts)

12 years ago

Wow! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the input. Starting today, I'll begin searching for these models. Thanks guys. I'll let you know what I go with, and I will update the "gear" section of my profile. 

Reply To Post

4. by ScapJazz
      (5 posts)

12 years ago

Hey MarkO,

Would you reccomend a Beuescher B U 4 Alto? I have recently discovered one selling on eBay for $300. Cosmetically, it looks alright.  I'm not sure if purchasing musical instruments from eBay is the wisest decision either. 

Reply To Post

1. by ScapJazz
        (5 posts)

12 years ago

Scratch that. I am reading some horrible reveiws. They also reccomend a used Aristocrat. Thanks though.

Reply To Post

1. by ScapJazz
          (5 posts)

12 years ago

Ended up purhcasing a Yas-23! Thanks again.

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

12 years ago

Great choice!!.........Kelsey

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM