Saxophone Forum

by Elmer
(2 posts)
20 years ago

Beginner saxophone

Hi. first timer user. Just found the site today. I have a hypothetical question. A friend of mine has a 10 year old son who is going to learn the alto sax at school. The teacher can get a Blessing alto sax for x dollars new for him or he has the opportunity to buy a used Selmer alto sax from another family here in town. I do not know the model of either sax. If he can buy the used selmer for the exact price of the new blessin (say about $600) and assuming there are no probs with the used selmer (we would get it checked out), which would be (1 the better buy, and 2) the better to learn on? I will try to get exact model info tonight but I would like to start getting your thoughts. Thanks, Elmer

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Beginner saxophone

go for the selmer, it's one of the big 4. Selmer makes great student saxes, and i'm not very familiar with Blessing. I know people with the Selmer Student Alto, and they say it is very nice. Blessing may be good, but it's doesn't have as much praise as Selmer.

Reply To Post

1. by Wolfram
      (1 post)

19 years ago

I agree. My personal fav fo beginners are the Yamaha 23's. They are really nice. Good intonation. Nice solid investments for that first sax.

Reply To Post

1. by Face
        (11 posts)

19 years ago

I have to agree as well, I'd go with the Selmer. My first saxophone was a Bundy II...good for beginning, though looking at it now I can hardly believe that I ever played on it. I also have to agree with Wolfram, I do prefer Yamaha for starting out...or in general. But given the choice, I'd certainly go for the Selmer.

Reply To Post