Saxophone Forum

by scooby
(83 posts)
12 years ago

Two Star Eyes Transcriptions

I have added two transcriptions of Star Eyes to my website:

http://www.scooby-sax.com/Transcriptions.html

The first solo is by alto saxophonist, Lennie Niehaus; the second is by tenor saxophonist, Bill Perkins. They come from one of the series of great records Niehaus did for Contemporary.

Enjoy!

- Scooby

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Two Star Eyes Transcriptions

Two real monsters for study of the fundamental of the saxophone and how to intertwine meoldy into the changes by playing great lines and a great tune to boot. Anyone following this should take a few of your favorite lines from these solos and learn in all 12 keys. Great stuff Jeff, thanks for posting these !

Cheers,

Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by scooby
      (83 posts)

12 years ago

You're welcome!

I've really been getting into Lennie Niehaus lately. That series of records he did for Contemporary are a goldmine of ideas. Also, the Cherokee solo from the Kenton band (also available on my website) is another source of great ideas.

Jeff   

"... trying to play clean and looking for the pretty notes." -- Charlie Parker

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

12 years ago

That's cool man! The first thing that comes to mind when I think of Lennie Niehaus is his big band arrangements that all of us played, at least a few of, in high school and college and his etude books. But he's a great player too. His sound is the perfect blend of what I hear as being a classic post-pop alto sound mixed with that dry west coast sound.

I'll go check out his work on Cherokee with Kenton and scope out the solo on your web site. Thanks for inspiring me to transcribe again. I have to admit its been a while!!

Cheers,
             Mark Overton
             www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post