Saxophone Forum

by Sabytet99
(1 post)
12 years ago

John Packer soprano saxophones

I am about to start lessons on soprano saxophone and have been looking at second hand saxes. I have found a John Packer, are they any good? I am just looking for a starter, not a proffesional grade sax.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

12 years ago

Re: John Packer soprano saxophones

John Packer is a brand imported by a well respected shop in south west England. I'm not sure if these horns are imported from China or Taiwan? John Packer instruments are offered in everything from flute and piccolo to tuba to saxophone and most everything in between. The advatage these horns offer are when purchased new, they come with a John Packer shop set up which is critical for any new saxophone. Unfortunately, you loose that advantage when purchasing a used saxophone. So, the resell is not all that great. Which works to your advantage as a second hand buyer.

I've not seen a soprano saxophone, but I've seen an alto which was a decent student level instrument. If you're getting into it for a resonable price and you can have it shop tested before you purchase, it could be a good deal. However, make sure its test for pitch. Some of the imported branded sopranos can play horribly out of tune. Hope this help and best of luck!!

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post