Saxophone Forum

by Rben20
(35 posts)
20 years ago

Getting nerves of steel

How do you guys get your nerves under control and not let it come between you and your music? When I pratice the music and then I play it for judges it just seems like I do things I never do when I play in front of them. How do you guys cope with it. Thanks for ya time

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Spike
    (248 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Getting nerves of steel

play for your peers. they can be way tought judges

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

20 years ago

ditto, the only way to get better at playing in front of people is to play in front of people. =) also speech classes help... Well let me clear something up. I don't feel you have a problem with playing your sax, it's the people part. Just do ANYTHING that gets you infront of people. Speech, speaking in class, plays, radio/tv (if your school has them) or even a webcam helps if you're into chat. That's all there is to it.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by saxgrobie
        (86 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah I'm in public speaking this year, and I have learned alot. One of the best things to keep in mind is that when you speak or play for someone, they don't know you are nervous unless you tell them. They can't see the butterflies in your stomach, or feel the sweat on your palms. That seems to work for me and give me more confidence. Yes, and practice in front of people. Start out by playing for close friends or family. Good luck, Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

Learn stuff to the point of memorization and remember to take several deep breaths for the minute before you start to play. People forget to breathe when they are nervous - which brings one to a particular disadvantage when playing a wind instrument...

Reply To Post

2. by Rben20
        (35 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks to all of your replies. Just read the post today... Marching band is crazy! Thanks again

Reply To Post

3. by EdTheGreat
        (11 posts)

19 years ago

All you have to do is believe in yourself rudy and never give up, play infront of your fellow saxes i haven't heard you play in a while so I would gladly give you tips and stuff like that

Reply To Post

1. by Rben20
          (35 posts)

19 years ago

Hey thanks ed...except for that stupid cliche haha..I will play for you my solo when solo and ensemble comes around.

Reply To Post

1. by eman19
            (131 posts)

19 years ago

I solve any fears I have of performing for a group by ignoring the group and concentrating on my music. I might talk to them after a song, but during the song, its like they're not even there.

Reply To Post

1. by Firk
              (31 posts)

19 years ago

i know a lot of people get nervous infront of crowds. i've never really been like that. i enjoy playing for others, and i just never get nervous. to answer your question....picture some of the people in there underwear? :P just make sure they're not really hot or ugly as you might get distracted lol good luck ~Firk

Reply To Post

2. by eman19
              (131 posts)

19 years ago

The fun is in the song. I play better in front of a group then I do just practicing. I do get a jolt of adrenaline from playing in front of a crowd and do get a little nervous. What I mean however, is that when I'm digging a song, I don't hear, feel or see anyone else. I'm not even really thinking, I'm having fun and letting those creative juices get flowin=o). That's all I meant to do. The crowd is important because they heighten your sensation of the music, but at a point they just disappear for while. Try playing on a street corner to earn some bread and you'll see what I mean.

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
              (586 posts)

19 years ago

"Try playing on a street corner to earn some bread and you'll see what I mean." that's different.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by eman19
              (131 posts)

19 years ago

this is true. I guess I don't know what I'm trying to say other than performing for a group of people (in a band in some time of setting other than street playing I guess), the fear of the crowd can drive you, but sometimes you just have to ignore the crowd for a bit so that the fear doesn't take over you and f*$% up your playing. After you get past that first moment of fear, you should hopefully be over it for the rest of the night and be able to play without any hesitation. I don't mean to get confrontational, there was enough of that in the vibrato post=o). This is my humble opinion, agree or disagree, that's all I got to say about that.

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I think it's a natural reaction to be a little nervous when playing in front of a crowd. The hardest thing for me was singing in front of people, because I didn't like my voice. As I've gotten older, I've gotten more confident, but there are still times, like when we play a song we just learned and maybe haven't had really practiced enough to where I feel comfortable with it, I get nervous. I used to look out into the audience and find a cute girl. I just imagine that she is the ONLY person I'm playing for, and she's wearing ONLY a smile, and that if I impress her enough with my playing, I can have my way with her! It works.....in more ways than one! Well, good luck with that! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!