Saxophone Forum

by MiddleSchoolSax
(5 posts)
20 years ago

Middle School Sax Players

I have been playing Sax for 2 years, i currently own a selmer super action 80 II, and it does me fine. Im I participated last year in a very good MiddleSchool band, though this year it is no where near as good, missing an two amazing sax players and many others on other instruments. Anyway, i am looking for a good solo piece, most likely somthing fast, similar to the Eccles 4th Movement, but with a little more musical style and sound. Any Help? MSSP

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Middle School Sax Players

hey, yea, I'm in Middle school too. Whoa, you have an awesome sax. alto or tenor? I have a YTS62II, it's great too, but not that great. I don't know your level, sounds like you're really good, but a good solo book to look for is Rubank Concert and Contest Collection for Tenor Sax. I think that's what it's called. It's like a Whiteish book with greenish blue lettering on it. It's pretty good. currently, I';m doing one of the harder ones for solo and ensemble. they have some faster ones there. If you want anything harder, check jwpepper. Sometimes you can listen to the song. Good Luck, and feel free to join the School Band Discussion while you're here. -Leslie

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

20 years ago

Try the glaz concerto - lots of interpretation - most arent up to it. heiden is easier for interpretation, but is borign as hell.

Reply To Post

2. by MiddleSchoolSax
    (5 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks for the advice. Its an alto, ok condidtion. About 15 years old, somewhere around that. My level is good for a middle school player. I sightread well and understand concepts well. Ill take a look at the concerto that was mentioned. MSSP

Reply To Post

3. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

20 years ago

i dont like kids that are better than me yet they have no clue what music is really about..it bugs me.. a kid in middle school couldnt beast all 12 scales at 100 in 16th notes, yet he can solo better than me..i dont get it!! ahh!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by MiddleSchoolSax
      (5 posts)

20 years ago

I can beast about 7 of the scales in 16ths at 90...

Reply To Post

1. by bronzemonkey992
        (22 posts)

20 years ago

If you can do that... now crank up the speed on your major scales and start learning the three minor forms of each key... yes 36 scales!!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by MiddleSchoolSax
          (5 posts)

20 years ago

That is usefull help. I know the majors and I am very very late on starting to learn my minors, though i know a few from just screwing around

Reply To Post

2. by CCHSbandgeek
          (4 posts)

20 years ago

I'm in highschool, but just a freshman, so i know how ya'll feel. I'd try a jazz piece for fastness, something like "Take Five" which is smooth and fast and (to me anyway) a pain in the butt with key changes and what not...but it's fun to mes around on. i hoipe this helps

Reply To Post AIM

3. by FutureBandTeacher
          (45 posts)

19 years ago

Key changes are indeed a pain in the butt. I was playing some Disney songs, and I was in a key with no sharps on "A Whole New World". Then it changed to a difficult key where everything was a half-step up. How irritating. The really lazy way (almost as lazy as jamming a Nerf ball in your bell as a cheap mute) to fix this is that there is an 8-measure rest directly after the key change, so you can push your mouthpiece a tiny bit down the cork, and it will play a half-step sharper. This poses obvious problems, and should only be used... um, never.

Reply To Post