Saxophone Forum

by spida
(12 posts)
20 years ago

Playing by ear

Hi chaps, I was wondering if any of you have found this, but I have a theory on playing by ear. Think about a tune you know well, that you have heard in a band or ensemble. Do you think of the melody only? Or do you think of the other parts too? I've found so far that people who can play by ear, or even can hold a tune if they're not a musician, are the ones who can manage to think of more than the melody. I'd be very interested in your responses, especially people having trouble playing by ear or singing in tune. Does this help you? Does it hold true? The theory is much more complicated than the practice btw...try singing harmonies along to a melody you know, might get you thinking on the right lines. If this does work, I think it might be because it's far easier to hold a tune when you have something else to measure it by. For example, you might not notice a tune going wrong when you play by yourself, but when you play with someone else, you have something to guage your own tune against. What do you reckon? Very interested to know ; )

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Playing by ear

I agree with the thinking of the melody. I nvr hum bass parts when it's not the melody. I can't reallly play by ear, just basic songs that are as like fifth and sixth grade level. That's interesting. I'll try it. Thanks for the info

Reply To Post

2. by Spike
    (248 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Playing by ear

knowing other parts, especialy the rhythm is great for really knowing a tune, but can also help with playing by ear. If you can sing the bass line or changes as well as the melody, playing it will come easier. so... yes

Reply To Post