Saxophone Forum

by kaischi
(1 post)
11 years ago

Conn 6M Naked lady ID question

Hi,

I bought a Conn 6M alto saxophone a few years ago, and I'm planning on selling it. Great horn, outstanding intonation, big sound. But I'm really a tenor player, so I'm not playing it.

My question is this: It has rolled tone holes, but the serial number doesn't seem to indicate that it should.

I've attached a few pics - can someone help me identify the year and possibly the value? It's been newly padded with resonator pads and fully adjusted when I bought it a few years ago.

Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Conn 6M Naked lady ID question

Looks like a relacquer, which might explain why there'a a mysterious "5" where there should be a "3." Notice how the "pat applied for" has been partly buffed away? Looks like the remaining original digits on the serial # have been heavily buffed too. Fortunately, the bell engraving came through the process OK. Maybe there was some pitting corrosion local to the serial # that the tech felt obligated to buff away, then incorrectly restored the first digit with a 5. It otherwise looks like a good relac job. The fact that it's a relacquer is a strike against its market value. Relacquers tend not to be trusted, because relacquering is often done after repairs of major damage, and the buffing can put post hinges outside of their tolerances and damage toneholes. Verify that there aren't excessive gaps between any of the posts and keyrods, or damage to the tonehole rims, as a result of buffing. Be prepared to answer that sort of question from buyers. Saxgourmet's online vintage saxophone value guide is a good place to start, then adjust for condition and the fact that this is a down market for vintage horns right now. Also check closing prices for comparable horns on eBay. It might be a great player's horn, just not a top dollar one.

Reply To Post

1. by cycles
      (42 posts)

11 years ago

Hi GFC
      I am a bit confused, re. Relacquering a Conn NW11 this is the first attempt for me at taking apart, cleaning up etc. a sax. The original lacquer was in a bad state, the horn looked ugly.
      But a great player, with the pads in good condition. I realised that the only way to clean it up, and get into all the hard to reach places was to take it apart. Now having done that I am unsure about the finish. To leave it polished bare brass or to get my guy in the motor trade to spray a clear lacquer. In my post TO LACQUER OR NOT.... I was advised that for a Vintage Conn it is better to relacquer. For resale value. Which is not what you advise.
      I would very much appreciate your thoughts.
      Thanhs in Advance.
      Cycles 

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

11 years ago

The Conn Director that Saxquest relacquered and sold for an incredible price was a student horn. The student market places value differently than does the vintage market. Kids want shiny horns for band class. The one certain thing about relacquering a vintage horn is that it is likely to lower the market value. There are all sorts of pitfalls that can make a bad result if you go the DIY route, so research it thoroughly before you decide that's really what you want to do. If you have a polished horn that you want to stay shiny, your simplest option is to apply car wax before reassembly, then reapply wax to the spots where it wears off. Here's a link to an article on the ins and outs of relacquers. http://www.cybersax.com/QA/Q&A_Relacquering_Pros_&_Cons.html

Reply To Post

1. by cycles
          (42 posts)

11 years ago

Thanks a lot GFC
          If I can explain what my end goal is , as you are probably wondering where I am comming from. My day to day Alto is a Custom Yamaha YAS 855 , but I would like to find a Vintage Conn as an alternative horn. Before I settled on this Yamaha, I had a 6M for a while and sold it thinking modern ergos would suit me better, comming from a Clarinet background. I really regret selling the 6M, so my foray back into the Vintage World is now buying a few NW11s and selecting one I would like to keep, and selling on the others.  horns needing a bit of work are very cheap for this caliber of horn, so I need to clean them up, and pass them on to a tech for final setup and adjustment. Before I can make a selection and then pass on the others for sale. Hence the reason for the lacquer or no lacquer question. This is not a profit type venture, but only to find a great horn. Personally I like the polished bare brass, and don't mind spending time keeping it polished, especially where my hands have been. As I know the patina can effect the horn in an uneven pattern that which  I would want to avoid.

Reply To Post

2. by Gregory Butko
        (8 posts)

10 years ago

It sure looks like a 6M from the Thirties or early Forties to me.  It appears to be in really nice shape.  From the pictures, it doesn't appear to be refinished (the engraving looks really sharp).

That horn should have Conn Reso pads.  Reso pads have a washer-like resonator, and look squared off from the side because they have a metal ring under the leather as a stiffener.

If the pads are good, leave them alone and enjoy your horn.  If you ever get it repadded, go with the Conn Reso pads.

This is a beautiful instrument.  I use as Conn 6M with the VIII neck alto, a 10M tenor and a Buescher baritone from 1927.  I have Selmer Mark VAAAAIs, but for playing in a swing band and a dixieland band, I like the vintage sound.

Reply To Post

3. by saxoconn
        (1 post)

8 years ago

I intereza buy the conn as we contacted lady 6m

Reply To Post