Saxophone Forum

by BSax99
(1 post)
11 years ago

Metal mouthpiece reviews - alto

I have been playing for a few years on alto and am looking to upgrade my mouthpiece. I am currently playing on a Yanagasawa 901 with the stock grade 6 mouthpiece. I have looked at metal vs hard rubber and prefer the tone of metal, it suits the style I play too. I was wondering if more expirienced players here had any suggestions about good metal pieces for alto. Cost isn't a great concern, I feel that it's better to invest in something good now than be wanting to change etc. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!  

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Metal mouthpiece reviews - alto

I have always used hard rubber mouthpieces on alto and metal mouthpieces on tenor. Over the last year I bought a Jody Jazz DV *7(metal mouthpiece) for my tenor and I really loved it. Later, although a little expensive,  I decided to try one for my alto as well. The alto piece is a little harder for me to control but I love the brighter sound. If you have time and $550. I can reccomend it. It's the Jody Jazz DV 7* for alto...good luck...~)

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Saxquest
      (420 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Metal mouthpiece reviews - alto

I agree! If you're going to a brighter sound and you want to play metal on alto, the Jody Jazz DV is worth looking into.

Cheers,
           Mark Overton
           www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post