Saxophone Forum

by almoralesfranco
(4 posts)
11 years ago

Boston Brand Saxophone

Hello from San Juan, PR.  I am new to this forum and hope to gain a lot of experience from all of the members of this site. By the way does anyone know who makes the Boston Alto Saxophone Brand?  I am in the process of buying one, but never heard of them before.  The Stores owner assures me it is a good brand.  I would appreciate if any one who’s has experience playing this instrument can provide any feedback on where is it made and how well does it performs. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by almoralesfranco
    (4 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Boston Brand Saxophone

Well I got my new Boston Alto Sax last week, and it was kind of disappointing.   To begin, the cork in the neck was coming off, one of the screws in the ligature did not tighten, and the holding clip of the outer zipper of the case broke.  I took it to the store yesterday and got it change for a new Boston Alto Sax.  I went home and try it, with my old Selmer Bundy Sax mouth piece and it sounded good, a few squeaks. I don’t know if that is because it’s been 16 years since I play a sax, but beside that I got a good response.  However I am still not completely satisfied with the Boston Alto Sax, and with the store that sold it to me.  They claim that they sell instruments for beginner students, and to me that is a great responsibility on your shoulder, because if you want a beginner student to continue advancing in his musical career, his first instrument should produce in him excitement and joy when playing it.  It should be one of the most pleasant experience and encouraging experience, which should motivate him to keep on learning and advancing in his musical career.   It is sad to hear of these music stores that claim to be there to help the beginner musical student, but their real objective is to make money off them.  I am in the process of seeing two used sax (one an Armstrong Alto Sax, for $120.00 and the other a Selmer Bundy Alto Sax, for $250.00) to buy.  Both probably need overhaul and maintenance, but the craftsmanship in top of the line.  I wish I would have gone that route first, but so much for spill tears.  Let me pick up the pieces and get one of those sax, have it repair and continue to enjoy my musical venture.  Advice to the beginner musical sax student, please buy either new or old, well know brand saxophones, please stay away from these cheap sax, they seem to be what all expert have been posting on all forums,  use for one time and not reparable instruments.

Alejandro Morales Franco

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
      (420 posts)

11 years ago

Hi Alejandro-

I'm so sorry you had a bad saxophone experience. I'm sorry that I didn't get to you post sooner. I've preached "buy quality used" for years. A saxophone is not like a wood clarinet where the material goes bad. So long as it has been well cared for and has been through a reputable shop, the older American craftmanship was very good.
           For trying to stay in that $500-$800 price range, its really the best option. If you can get up into the $1200 price range, there are some very good options out there such as Chateau brand of saxophones.
           Did you ask the music store about returning the Boston saxophone? Most reputable music stores will have a trial and return policy.

Cheers,
           Mark Overton
           www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by almoralesfranco
        (4 posts)

11 years ago

Mark

Thank for the good suggestion. I am in full agreement with you, there is nothing better than a American made saxophone.  The craftsmanship’s in amazing and the durability is breathtaking.  I will check with the store in the return policy and if I can get a full refund or some return I will used it to repair the old sax I buy.  I still debating weather I should buy the Selmer Bundy, since I had one before, but I keep reading good info on the Armstrong alto sax.  What do you recommend?

Alejandro Morales Franco

Reply To Post