Saxophone Forum

by bbrandha
(3 posts)
11 years ago

Another one from Oregon!

Somewhat of an imposter here. I do not play sax. My son does. I play clarinet. I am just here to learn about saxes.

I play in a mounted band. Yes, on horseback. I also play in our local youth symphony even though I am not exactly a youth.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Another one from Oregon!

How does the conductor of the youth symphony feel about an old player on a horse?

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by bbrandha
      (3 posts)

11 years ago

Well, I leave the horse at home and wear a bag on my head so he can't see my face. The rest of me still looks like a teenager! ;)

In reality, we have a hard time getting enough players, so it is becoming a community orchestra more than a youth symphony.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

11 years ago

I love the fact that you play on horse back! That's one of those musicianship skill that I thought was a lost art :)!

Its fairly common for youth symphonies to fill out the sections with musicians over the age of 18 when needed. Especially in smaller communities or when a player gets sick or what have you. However, you're exactly right in that when it starts being a regular thing and on multiple chairs, at some point you need to stop calling it a youth symphony and call it a community symphony or perhaps a community symphony geared towards giving young players playing opportunities. 

Cheers,
             Mark Overton
             www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post