Saxophone Forum

by Haanzig
(19 posts)
10 years ago

Pro's choice of Mouthpiece & Reed

Ok . . . How can I find out what mouthpiece & reed was used by Clarence Clemons , Wayne Shorter , Dave Sanborn & others ? . . . Specificaly . . trying to achieve that extra octave {harmonically} on my 10M . . . I'm using  a 70's era Brilhart metal mouthpiece , sz.6 with a Rico Jazz Select no.2/Med reed . . . Would a larger sz. with a lighter reed make it easier to jump octaves ? or a firmer reed ?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tempomaster
    (36 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Pro's choice of Mouthpiece & Reed

These are excellent questions.  I would really like to know what type of mouthpiece and reed CC used to get his big sound.  If you do discover the answer to any of this stuff please let me know.  Good luck. 

On a similar note --- does anyone know what type of tenor, mp, and reed Stanley Turrentine used.  His "Pieces of Dreams" is one of the best albums ever made in my estimation.  Thanks. 

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

10 years ago

Before you start in on the equipment, are you doing everything you can to develop your overtones?  Can you reliably hit the higher harmonics off the first octave fingerings?  You should be able to do that with a large chamber, low baffle mouthpiece using throat and airstream control (NOT lip pressure!) before you start trying to play the altissimo range.  There are mouthpieces with higher baffles and smaller chambers to make altissimo easier, but with a sacrifice of tonal depth and 10Ms aren't known for getting along particularly well with small chamber pieces in the intonation department.  

With a smallish tip like the one you use, trying a stiffer reed couldn't hurt, and it's a relatively inexpensive experiment. 

Reply To Post

1. by Haanzig
      (19 posts)

10 years ago

I have 1/2 a box of Vandoren Sz. 2 !/2 & some Plasticoat in Sz. 3 will try those as well . . . Thanx for the tip !. .. . . Starting to pick up overtones in the lower register, but need more work. . . What's your opinion on the "10MFAN" mouthpieces ? Only just heard about them & need to do more research on them . . .Don't even know if there's a dealer nearby . . .

Reply To Post AIM

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

10 years ago

10MFAN mouthpieces may be wonderful, as a lot of people are saying they are, but I might never find out because I'm not one of the guys who chases high end mouthpieces.  Steve Neff is a gearhead who's reviewed all sorts of mouthpieces including one of the 10MFAN flavors.

http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/category/mouthpiece-reviews/tenor-mouthpieces/

When you read the comments on Steve's reviews, you will quickly realize that mouthpiece preference is a highly personal thing.  10MFAN sales are online only.

Reply To Post

1. by Haanzig
          (19 posts)

10 years ago

Thanx for your input . .I'll keep you posted on how I make out . .

Reply To Post AIM