Saxophone Forum

by bringyourownbanana
(2 posts)
10 years ago

Buying The Best Brand of an Alto Saxophone?

Hey there my fellow saxophonists, my name is Sara, Im 13 years old and have been playing the saxophone for almost a year. My parents and I have been looking into buying myself my very own since I rent one from a music shop. I currently play a Jupiter Eb Alto Sax 667GN model, and it plays very well. My question to ANY professional saxophone player that knows what to look for in buying a saxophone, is what saxophone would be best for my level and needs? Some questions I have are what brand is best? Should I be frugal with my money or spend a hefty amount of cash on a superior model? Should it be used or new? Any peice of information always helps! I thank you in advance for any information and advice!

- Sara 
                                                                                         Florida, USA 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by billyk4506
    (1 post)

10 years ago

Re: Buying The Best Brand of an Alto Saxophone?

Hello Sara! Im glad to hear that you enjoy your Jupiter sax. Ive been playing for 10 years and Ive almost always stuck with my top brands, Yamaha and Jupiter. The Eb Alto 767GL model from Jupiter suits not quite a beginner anymore but not a professional either with a clear and great sound for an intermediate! I feel that getting a used sax if always the best way of getting one, so try not to spend so much on a saxophone that you cant handle. Also, the Yamaha 62III is a very well made instrument for those ready for a long lasting sax. It could be a tiny overwhelming for someone your age Sara, but you can easily grow into it through high school. Good luck with your journey through getting your new sax and hope you enjoy it!

Warm Regards,
                                                                                          Bill K. - Fayettevile, NC

Reply To Post

1. by bringyourownbanana
      (2 posts)

10 years ago

Thanks Billy for the respond quite quickly! Im glad to hear that Jupiter does have many good quality instruments, but what is your take on the Tygenn AS87 compared to the Jupiter and Yamaha brands? My dad has been looking into those other brands so hed like more info on it. 
      Thanks! 

-Daily Effervess

Reply To Post

1. by saxgourmet
        (127 posts)

10 years ago

http://nationofmusic.com/index.php/product-category/altos/

lots of demonstration videos so you can hear the horns and see all the features available ONLY on our hiorns 

STEVE GOODSON
        New Orleans
        www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post