Saxophone Forum

by FredCDobbs
(77 posts)
19 years ago

Music Notation Software

I'd appreciate any music notation software recommendations. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Music Notation Software

Finale, which I hope to have soon, is top of the line I understand. I know a guy who has been using it for 5 years and he says there's still a lot to learn. This is the software you want to use to do formal scoring. Sibelius is another one that is making it's way, but Finale has had an established following for a long time. So unless you are of the "Macintosh" mindset needing to be special and a pioneer, I'd go with Finale.

Reply To Post

1. by FredCDobbs
      (77 posts)

19 years ago

Sax Maniac, thanks, I'll check it out.

Reply To Post

2. by FredCDobbs
      (77 posts)

19 years ago

WOW! They're both pretty pricey. I see why you don't already have one.

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
        (323 posts)

19 years ago

well my school has sibelius and alot of people like it more than finale, I kinda do, i have both but if your looking to write small group stuff you can get finale notepad for free it only handles 8 parts though still good

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

If you are a student or a teacher or use it for church or something non-profit like that, you can get it at a discount.

Reply To Post

2. by FredCDobbs
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

Finale Notepad is all I need, and the price is right. I just downloaded it, it works fine. Thanks SM and Bari!

Reply To Post

3. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

I've been using Finale 2004 a lot lately. It has hyperscribe, so when youo play into a mike, it notates i. I'll play a solo, then analyze it on the computer and see where I could've made better resolutions between chords. Unless you have really good recording equipment, it won't pick up every note though. Especially on 16th note runs.

Reply To Post

4. by FredCDobbs
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

Golferguy, I assume you can put the mike up to a set of speakers, and get an immediate transcription of any solo off a CD. That's really cool! (I know there are omnibus books out there, and you're supposed to transcribe by ear, but I'm nowhere near that skill level yet). The technology is incredible.

Reply To Post

5. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

I just purchased Coda Print_ Music. I guess it's a trimmed down version of Finale. It's Smart Scan feature works rather well I think, considering the scanned image looked so crappy and complex. It only knocked off a few accidentals (including the key signature)

Reply To Post