Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
20 years ago

I just need to get better

im tired of this.. to me this is happening to me just like my golf game is.. 1st, your a beginner and ur still learning / begging golf shooting in the 100's 2nd your an advanced student / ur getitng better at golf, getting close to breaking 100 3rd your an intermediate player and pretty much know everythhing,..scales, can site read descent just all around../ your doing with your golf game what you get into it, for me im shooting about 88 or so.. then is just stops, you dont get any better or worse, one day ur really good, another day ur not that good at all.. im tired of it, i want to get GOOD.. how do u go from being..good.....to, gooooood.. u kno what im saying? how do i get there? what should i work on? how do i approach it? help a dude out..

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

20 years ago

Re: I just need to get better

hahaha brilliant markiv!! brilliant!! absolutely amazing!! n bari machine, i donno of any sax teacher in all of maryland who is better than my pal Al Maniscalco..hes crazy good.. but all well.. bye now

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

20 years ago

how old was tiger woods when he "was" really really good at golf? How old are the pros on the tour?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

20 years ago

when tiger was good and at his complete prime i think he was in his early 20's..and theyre getting younger and younger now, i know my friend is just getting into the tour and hes only 19.. but tiger just married the hottest girl ive seen in awhile so its all good...

1. by Jack Cici
      (87 posts)

20 years ago

Well, first you need to work on your embouchere. It is probably the most important elemant in playing the saxophone. Next you must practice legato tonguing, scales, both minor and major and you must practice the jazz scales, if you wish to play jazz. Also if you want to play jazz, I would suggest that you work on your improvisation. If you want to be really good, get private lessons from someone with a Masters Degree in saxophone, such as me or someone else . Once you do that, you will be a master at playing the saxophone.

Reply To Post

4. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

20 years ago

yea i been thinkin that scales are a big part of it all, cuz u can pretty much practice anything with scales.. improv, tounging rythems, crecendo, decrecendo, vibrato, etc. and i do get lessons from a very very skilled sax player here in baltimore, hes on of the best that we have to offer, his name is Al Maniscalco, hes amazing, thanks for the post tho..

1. by Hexaclon
      (90 posts)

20 years ago

Hey dude... I belive the answer is quite simple. Just learn things you dont know. You know your minor and major scales...well then go and practice your bebop scales, blues scales (very important for improvising). About reading...you say you can sight read...well then get somethng you can't sight read, :) or try reading and frassing different styles. Like latin, pop, jazz. Well I hope I helped -Hex-

Reply To Post AIM

1. by barimachine
        (323 posts)

20 years ago

baltimore ehhh i think my friend actually goes to that teacher... he seems pretty good

Reply To Post

1. by SelmerParisPassion
          (59 posts)

20 years ago

Practice. I'm at that point now with my vibrato, I suck at it. Just can't get it, but I have to get the concert crap down.. :P I like it, but give me dirty jazz any day! Christie J

2. by The_MarkVI
          (80 posts)

20 years ago

Do the rich kid apporach. Buy a 8$ sax 500$ mouthpiece with a 100$ ligature, hand select vandoeren reeds $30-40 And get an overhaul every month. This method will work! lol

Reply To Post