Saxophone Forum

by sbn567
(7 posts)
9 years ago

Is a 3.5 reed strength to stiff for me?

I found my sound bursting on 3s. Should I go stiffer or just learn to play softer. (I am in a middle school band)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Is a 3.5 reed strength to stiff for me?

May be more of a mouthpiece issue than reed issue. What mouthpiece are you using?

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

2. by Maestro.58
    (9 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Is a 3.5 reed strength to stiff for me?

What do you mean by "bursting."  It is important to sound musical!  For marching band you wnat a big sound, but again, keep in mind, you are playing music.  If your tone is harsh it may not be the reeds fault, either.
         Playing a saxophone is a relationship of elements that begin with your air column.  Like vocalists, we must breather from our diaphragm - actually from the lowerr parts of our abdomen - below the belly-button about two inches and about two inches IN!  Our embouchers must be formed properly (I prefer the double-lip emboucher); the mouthpiece must be right; throw away the ligature that the sax came with and get a decent ligature (Rob=vner is good, and not too expensive); your mouthpiece must be appropriate for your mouth; and of course the quality of your sax is a consideration. All of these elements work together to give you the sound that you are getting.  There is one more element, though - PRACTICE.
         Get yourself a GOOD private teacher, and PRACTICE ALOT!

Best Wishes,

Robert 

Robert E. Schuenemann

Reply To Post AIM