Saxophone Forum

by bik3rjon
(2 posts)
9 years ago

Oxidisation repair

Hi all,

So after about 16 years of wanting to play the sax I decided to take the plunge and buy one. I didn't want to spend too much (partly due to not having any money at the mo, and partly because I could just always be pants at it) and have managed to pick up a Trevor-James sax for next to nothing as it was sold as "lots of lacquer wear but great blower!".

I was hoping to give it a bit of a clean up, getting rid of all the oxidisation and maybe make it shine like it should. Was hoping someone might have some advice on the best way to go about cleaning it up? I do not want to pay a repair person for this as I'm sure the cost would soon go over the value of one of these new and I'm sure it's something I can learn to do myself.

Anyway, as I currently know next to nothing about sax maintenance any advice on things to check to make sure all is ok and tips for how to make things better will be greatly appreciated. Also as this sax cost me very little (as far as saxophones go) I'm taking this to be a bit of a learning experience, hoping that if I do like playing it I can take the lessons that I learned on maintenance forward to future saxophones that will be worth the time and effort!

I shall hopefully be putting up some photo's quite soon

Thanks,
Jon 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Oxidisation repair

Don't worry about making it shiny again.  The only thing you might need to worry about is anything green, which can cause actual corrosion.  A lot of what people call oxidation is actually tarnish, which is benign.  

Reply To Post

1. by bik3rjon
      (2 posts)

9 years ago

Cool thanks. So how do I deal with the green bits then? Cheers

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

9 years ago

Brass brush.  If it's persistent, try sulfur treatment as a preventative.

Reply To Post