Saxophone Forum

by Jonathan_sfyee
(15 posts)
20 years ago

Which curve soprano saxophone?

I am currently looking for a new curve soprano saxophone and am considering the following brands:- LA Sax L-660 Antigua Winds A-558-LQ Unison I tried a Yanagisawa SC900 before. Great horn, but sad to say, way over what I can afford. I have not tried any of the the above mentioned horns and as such would like to seek your opinion on which one do you think would be the better of the lot. THANKS

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Which curve soprano saxophone?

All three are crap. For how much money you spend on those 3, you can get a pathetically superior true-tone - which are supposedly the best sop there is, but I have played 2 conns, and they were fabulous, much better than the true-tone I played, but the true-tone could then also have been a stinker. Which brings up the conns, they are more expensive than the true-tones, but I assume the curved ones are almost as nice as the straight ones. But then, they are more expensive than the true-tones.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

20 years ago

Why does it have to be curved? And when it comes to sopranos in particular, you risk intonation issues with vintage or non-Yani horns. I'm biased as I use both Yani curved and straight, but in some regards, the money you save isn't worth the headaches you may endure. Just be sure to buy something with a solid return policy in case you are disappointed.

Reply To Post

1. by rashorn
        (4 posts)

19 years ago

I have a cheaper curved Soprano and it sounds darker than either of my straight saxes, including my high end Yamaha. I prefer the tone of the curved sax (which I do attribute to the shape, but there could be other variables involved). However, as mentioned above, intonation is a constant battle, which is a large drawback for using the horn.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The LA Sax L-660 would be the better of the three. EM Winston makes a decent curved soprano too for the money. Check out www.musiciansfriend.com. If you're looking for something better, I agree, either a Buescher True Tone or a Conn 4M.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by Pierre
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

Have a look at

Reply To Post